The time it takes to be a woman

Not only is it reductive and offensive, it also denies the very fact of privilege. Recognizing that you are the recipient of privilege is not an attack on you personally. As a man, you may take longer to shave your face, you may spend hours conditioning your luxurious locks, but ON THE WHOLE, it is true women spend more time on personal maintenance. Privilege: by virtue of biology or cultural norms, men are not expected to spend as much time with grooming.

29 Likes

Precisely! I couldn’t have put it better!

4 Likes

Why do we spend more time on our appearance?

Societal expectations.

44 Likes

Also unfuck anyone who can’t distinguish between instinct and socialization.

22 Likes

Alicia Keys chose not to wear makeup to a recent awards show, and people freaked out about the “statement” she was making.

Also, I’ve googled “[Celebrity] without makeup” and it’s hilarious how many of the results are photos of said celebrity clearly wearing makeup. If our eyelids aren’t glittery blue we must not be wearing any!

23 Likes

I have never seen a woman waiting in line to use a mirror. If you see a line it is for the stalls. If someone decides to spend 10 min in front of the mirror it has no effect on the wait time for other women.

No one checks there hair in the stalls.

25 Likes

Yeah, but you should see the sick disparity in New Guinea. The men spend like twenty times longer per year grooming. I think they’re still the privileged ones, though?

This doesn’t put itself on!

5 Likes
  • googles “women of New Guinea”
  • sees multiple images of women in equally elaborate makeup
  • doesn’t post them because the women are all topless.

Edit: Also I’d like to note that while looking at images I learned about the problems of rape and abuse of up to 70% of women in New Guinea so what was that about privilege again?

26 Likes

The Huli practice polygyny, so yes.

6 Likes

I just think it’s great that your “This” GIF is a man whose appearance reinforces patriarchal expectations of femininity.

Meanwhile, here in the misogynist midwest, we have women who wear “mannish” clothes and have short hair, and for the most part nobody gives a fuck.

(If that’s not Ru Paul, btw, my apologies.)

Let’s have a debate, then! Just kidding. I am just struck by the arbitrary nature of gender and dominant culture standards as far as what’s normal, acceptable, beautiful, respectable, ugly, etc. I’m so glad you spared us the horror of topless women. Because that always has sexual connotations that make people in polite society uncomfortable, or over-stimulated.

I was more trying to be respectful of people who might open this thread in a workplace that doesn’t want you having images of topless women on their computer. Surprising people with nudity isn’t very polite.

7 Likes

A male breast is fine, regardless of size or shape, while a women’s is to be feared. Nice culture.

2 Likes

I didn’t make it. I’m all for female toplessness. I’m sorry that my trying not to get people at work in trouble is so offensive to you.

18 Likes

Am I offended? News to me. Just making a point about culture. But we’re talking past each other, so I’ll stop.

2 Likes

I’m so happy you think it’s great; my life is now complete and I can die happy.

/s

I used an image of Rupaul purposefully because I don’t see him “reinforcing patriarchal expectations of femininity”; I see her actively defying the patriarchal expectations of masculinity.

All drag is not centered around glam; see Devine.

That just happens to be Ru’s personal aesthetic.

Drag queens are heroic to me, because it takes a lot of balls to live outside the “normative” societal expectations that are forced upon us from birth; at the risk of not only public scorn, but all too often of their safety and well being as well.

Lastly, if you live in the “misogynistic Midwest” you have my sincere sympathies; I moved away for a reason.

Cheers.

23 Likes

You realize your statements about privilege are a form of stereotyping, right? Taking a generality about a group and making a claim of fact about an individual.

1 Like

You sure about that?

14 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t even gonna address that bit; people will believe what they want to believe.

8 Likes

Thank you.

Sometimes likes just aren’t enough.

12 Likes