The Today show hosts dressed in terrible, scary Peanuts costumes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2015/10/30/the-today-show-hosts-dressed-i.html

1 Like

High Octane Nightmare Fuel.

(tvtropes warning)

9 Likes

This does not make me want to watch the movie or the Today show. I’m astonished that this involved levels of design work and craft by numerous artisans to pull it off, all of whom said “yeah, this looks good!”

10 Likes

So this is what the heebie-jeebies feel like.

14 Likes

They obviously hired some professional for the make up and appliances.

Then they got the cake decorator at the local super market to put on the hair.

22 Likes

Hard to un-see that hair… the horror! the horror!
and those ears look like they came from the burn unit
good grief!

8 Likes

I find this surreal. It’s like Today show does Dada.

7 Likes

You’re right! There’s a distinctive Cake Wrecks melted-horror-aesthetic now that you mentioned it.

5 Likes

I got a little puke in the back of my mouth, that was fucked up.

3 Likes

12 Likes

I see what you did there.

3 Likes

No wonder that this parent has problems with peanuts.

13 Likes

Rack 'em, everyone go home.

4 Likes

A lot of artists–Matthew Barney, Ryan Trecartin, Bradley Benedetti, etc–are probably upset that such a vibrant spectacle of prosthetics and costumes was only made possible through the unholy power of cross-promotion.

6 Likes

The PigPen one is really clever - at least, the tulle dust clouds are. The makeup is kill-it-with-fire though.

3 Likes

There’s tons of that shit on Etsy under Art if you’re looking for more bad design and craft.

I’m surprised the hosts didn’t protest in favor of better design or not do it at all. Hmmm, can they do that, per contract?

No, my point was that these are some of the better designers in the business, both in costumes and makeup. Not people who like doing things in their spare time (regretsy was better, but such things are not always long for our world). People who are paid a lot of money to do such things. Custom clown shoes alone run in the upper hundreds of dollars, for example.

2 Likes

And along with @knoxblox, I’m wondering how the hell the artists (first) and the hosts (second) didn’t nix the whole thing following their first glance in the mirror at the finished…uh…not product…disaster? I mean, were they going to do a show on The Thing? Oh, Linus! Sweet fucking hell, Pigpen?!?

3 Likes

Money. Buckets and buckets of sweet cross-promotional money. If I were to guess, I’d say the peanuts movie gave them at least twenty million to do this.

If you’re Matt Lauer, who makes millions a year to smile nicely for about three hours a day five times a week you put on the goddamned costume and finish that pool out back of your second home like a good boy. If you’re a builder or makeup artist you roll your eyes at the sketches and do your best and cash your check as soon as you can so you can pay off grad school.

If you’re the designer who thought all this up, you complain loudest that it looks nothing like what you drew and the shop screwed everything up.

8 Likes

And as you mention, you still laugh all the way to the bank.

1 Like