The top that (almost) never stops

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/12/the-top-that-almost-never-st.html

The indigogo link to Limbo seems broken?

Can I put it on a wireless charging pad?

3 Likes

only this one comes with an especially annoying curly haired kid.

Wait, what? I’ve forgotten about the tops now.

2 Likes

Battling tops make me think of Beyblades. My son is into them, and a surprising amount of my time is spent in Beyblade battles. It’s surprisingly fun.

6 Likes

A top that don’t stop.
Here I am wondering what good one is that does?

1 Like

Little does Mr. Limbo Owner know that his coworkers (and the delivery guy for some reason dressed as Bob the Builder) are jaded goldbrickers just happy to have an excuse to hang out in his office and listen to Epic Marketing Music.

3 Likes

I LOVED and STILL LOVE Battling Tops.

My parents were lucky enough to find one a few years ago for 50 cents at a garage sale so I even have a copy today! (Though I was surprised how much it affected me to see the name stickers were put on different colours by these owners. Dizzy Dan is GREEN, darn it!)

6 Likes

We had those battling tops, too.

And (the completely unrelated, but I just thought of them) SSPs!

3 Likes

Is it? We found the “blades” with the most mass invariably win so it is a simple matter of picking the heaviest one before spinning them… I wanted to like beyblades more but the battles were too … predictable based on mass.

4 Likes

I think it’s supposed to tell you whether you’re stuck in a dream or not. Need to double check that with Christopher Nolan though.

8 Likes

“It looks like that top from that movie.”

Yes, this is pretty much why I backed it when it was on Kickstarter. As movie prop replicas go, this one looks spectacular. Simple and effective.

3 Likes

The top that (almost) never stops

5 Likes

Well this is one of those times that I can’t explain to people in the office why I am laughing.

2 Likes

wow! Never seen the impossi-cars before, how adorable.

Is the problem as simply as resistance and the inefficiency of magnets? Or is there some other physics fail like, the lead magnet needs to be travelling away from the car to make it work??

1 Like

The problem is that while the magnet drags the car forwards, the car also pulls the magnet backwards just as hard - and the magnet is part of the car, so the net sum is zero. It’s kind of the same problem as trying to lift yourself by standing in a bucket and pulling on the handle.

You certainly could pull a car with a magnet, if, say, the magnet was stuck to a different car (with a normal engine) in front of you. In that case, it’d just be an unconventional way of attaching a tow rope.

More elegantly, you could use electromagnets. If you put permanent magnets in your car, and place it on a track full of electromagnets, and then turn those on and off as the car is going by, then you’d certainly move. (The difference is that now you’re pushing against the track, not yourself). This is basically how maglev trains work, though those also use the same magnets to levitate the train a little bit above the track.

3 Likes

I think i either saw a Kickstarter for this or something like this a few months ago. I really wanted one but just couldn’t justify buying it. If anyone wants to send me one feel free :smiley:

1 Like

I said this same thing but more poorlier.
I don’t think anybody got it.

Live and learn.

Newton’s 3rd is a bitch.

Those of us who understand the laws of thermodynamics.

2 Likes

I don’t think so CanadianBeaver — that would be a great upgrade for LIMBO 2.0.