The town of Muff holds a Muff Fair every year.

If tourism there picks up, they might need to open an airport and clear a landing strip.

12 Likes

We used to have a Muff Fair but since around the early 2000s attendance dwindled to a bare minimum, and they had to rename it the Merkin Fair.

8 Likes

This is likely related to another ancient Celtic festival wherein the young folks from the town parade around the town square singing “Hooray, hooray, its the first of May – outdoor shagging starts today” and then run for the nearest bushes.

6 Likes

They sell muff diving memberships that comes with a muff diving shirt

2 Likes

Came here to post that exact pic. (It came up first in a Google image search)

Anyway, came to say that I was jealous of my older sister having one of those things when we got all dressed up for church. Mum said I couldn’t have one.

I’m a dude… that’s why this story is funny.

(And before any of you Boingers chime in… yes I’m aware of the sexuality/gender identity undertones of this story) :grin:

2 Likes

I was going to make a joke as well but realized my avatar already does it.

2 Likes

I imagine the stone sign is to stop people stealing it, like the similar one in Shitterton, Devon:

7 Likes

Unless I run out of things to do and see in the US I really have no interest in traveling overseas but if that day comes Muff Fair will be one of my first stops.

2 Likes

Is there a Muff Queen?

4 Likes

Go to muffqueen.com your Muff Queen awaits you.

2 Likes

I’m casting my vote for Kanye. Amber Rose is just holding that for him while he uses the little boys’ room.

4 Likes

…?

http://floridanaturecoast.org/County/Citrus/CooterFest/CooterFest.aspx

3 Likes

Is there a special Muff dance?

1 Like

If your question mark is why my story is funny, here’s why:

Because I am a 58 year old, cynical, gay man who fought for queer civil rights in Ala-God-Damn-Bama in the early 1990s. So I’m allowed to find the absurd humour of a 7 year old Catholic boy in Pittsburgh in the 1960s asking his bewildered mother for a muff to wear in church.

At that time and place, in my experience, there was no notion of queer identity. I was just a weird kid.

And yes, it would have been nice if 1960s society was accepting of a boy using a muff in church. But it wasn’t.

To repeat… I’m a dude, that’s why it’s funny.

10 Likes

I thought it was because you asked why you couldn’t have a muff like your sister and she had no idea what you meant

6 Likes

I will be a 12 year old boy forever because much like these professionals I will giggle at this stuff til the day I die.

3 Likes

Dude, lighten up. I got all that.
I was kidding.

1 Like

Fair enough… apologies for getting…

image -ED

3 Likes

I asked my giirllfriend to give me a Big Muff guitar distortion pedal and she did.

No sniggering joke here.

I love the way my ‘Big Muff’ sounds with a custom made Strat into a Deluxe Reverb.

Still no joke.

Love the sound of the Big Muff in the chain to my amp.

Just thought I’d share a story about receiving a Big Muff as a present. Love to use it to this day. My Big Muff gives me joy!

4 Likes