The trailer for Baymax! is live

Originally published at: The trailer for Baymax! is live | Boing Boing

3 Likes

As an animation fan, here I was about to defend the show as not necessarily being a “children’s property” because good animation can be enjoyed by people of all ages. But then the trailer concluded with the dialogue “Parents: Stream it on Disney+.” So yeah, I guess there’s just no denying who they’re targeting with this.

9 Likes

for adults 6 years is an eyeblink. so maybe they can get some grown big hero six fans who can drag the little ones into participating. maybe.

2 Likes

What’s also a little odd about this one is that Big Hero 6 already got an animated series that ran from 2017-2020 (and it was pretty good as far as movie spin-offs go)

Big Hero 6 hit theaters in 2014, and consequently, any eight-year-old that was into the flick is now 16 and probably too enamored with angst to care about a sequel.

I guess with streaming these properties are more long-term multi-generational staples than ever. My 6 year old loved the movie despite not being alive when it first came out, so he’ll probably love the new show.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Yep, there are a few.

3 Likes

Uh… in a post streaming world, there are probably a million kids who just saw Big Hero 6 for the first time last year. Even more who saw it for the first time 2 or 3 years ago. So they don’t actually have to wait that long to see a sequel and will be interested.

And I’m not a kid, but will watch it!

6 Likes

That’s nothing. Any eight-year-old who saw Cinderella when it hit theaters in 1950 would have been pushing sixty by the time Disney dropped this one:

9 Likes

“I remember when movies were only in a movie theater, and most of them were black and white.”

“Sure you do, Grandma, now let’s get you to bed.”

1 Like

Or an eight year old watching Bambi in 1942 would be 72 by the time Bambi II was released in 2006. (I haven’t seen it yet but I hope it was good enough to be worth the wait.)

6 Likes

speaking of bad google search results i tried to find the average age difference between siblings to no avail ( oh so many sites claiming facts about raising kids though )

that was my only thought. ( probably disney proprietary information at this point… )

1 Like

I think this one may be the record-holder:

2 Likes

I dunno. People have done modern sequels to Gilgamesh.

2 Likes

Probably want the search term “age gap” and then add on “sibling” and maybe “statistics” …and maybe search the “scholarly” databases for that.

not at all fond of pie-charts (with a facebook prior no less)…

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly how we landed on this subject, but now I’m curious about that data: is it referring to the gap between consecutive siblings? Because in families with more than two kids those numbers could be expected to vary considerably depending on which specific siblings you’re talking about.

4 Likes

It seems to me that there’s always new kids coming. Like, Always. So there’s always a new audience for Baymax/Voltron/Pogs or whatever it is they bring back. If six year olds like that first movie, a new six year old will still also like it.

Mark my words, there’s a Flintstone revival coming and then I’ll be cool again.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.