The trailer for Kirby's Dream Buffet is entirely too cute

Originally published at: The trailer for Kirby's Dream Buffet is entirely too cute | Boing Boing

Less Mario Party, more “Nintendo Presents their interpretation of Fall Guys”.

I assume that the four player limit is to avoid having to build/own the service infrastructure that something like a larger scale multiplayer game would require.

1 Like

Kirby and the Forgotten Land was a lot of fun, probably the best Kirby game I’ve played.

In general Kirby games have always felt more hit-or-miss to me than the other Nintendo headliners.

This was my take exactly. Certainly the mini-game aspect draws on some similarities to Mario Party, but with the race thrown in this seems a heck of a lot more like Fall Guys.

As for multiplayer, Nintendo has always been notoriously bad at adapting to the modern conventions for that sort of thing. Them sticking to the formula of 4 players they started with the N64’s four controller ports just seems on brand for them.

I disagree that this is an inherently “bad” thing; one of the great things about Nintendo’s approach to multiplayer is that the Switch still has a ton of games designed for a group of players who are in the same room instead of online play as the default. That’s good news for those of us who enjoy the occasional casual game with the kids instead of donning a headset to play some MMO game against a bunch of potential weirdos we’ve never met.

As for this Kirby game the “eat more to become a bigger ball” mechanic reminds me of Katamari Damacy, which could be a lot of fun.

I’ll clarify that I’m not saying catering to the people who want to sit in the same room and play together is a bad thing and I agree that Nintendo is one of the few game developers still catering to it. But I will expand on that and say that being able to easily play with a friends who are anywhere in the world is also highly desirable and Nintendo’s methods of enabling that have historically been… poorly implemented. It appears they’ve finally got that sorted out with the Switch however.

Less interpretation, more this is reskinned Fall Guys.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.