The true story of “We Built This City”- the most detested song in human history

Bruce Forsyth?

1 Like

That is an excellent way to put a positive spin on the situation!

3 Likes

I suppose it’s down to one’s definition of cool. Denver and Duncan surely had admirable qualities, but were way too earnest and eager to please to qualify in my book. Mummenschanz is a mime troupe. Mimes are never cool.

(I did get to see them in person a few times as a kid and they were memorably entertaining, but rules are rules.)

2 Likes

If you’re unfamiliar with the original version of Seasons in the Sun, Le Moribond, by Jacques Brel, It’s worth checking out. Much different than the remake, it’s a bitter, scathing heap o’ bile directed at those who are going to outlive the narrator:

1 Like

There are no exceptions to this rule!

Even Leo Sayer, especially Harry Belafonte (his episode on The Muppet Show is one of the all time best).

It didn’t matter how lame they are now or even how lame they are back then. Acting with muppets is a badge of honor that automatically garners at least the smallest amount of coolness in my book. Its a sign of celebrities not taking themselves too seriously and willing to be a little goofy for the sake of showmanship.

2 Likes

By all accounts Milton Berle’s appearance on the Muppet Show was one of the smoothest the producers had. Berle came to the studio with a box of one-liner jokes on index cards for the writers to use when they wanted a quick joke. Being generous with “the funny” is a rare trait.

5 Likes

Chris Langham?

No Exceptions!

Plus I still remember his “pick a sausage, any sausage” bit even if I couldn’t remember his name without your reference and the internet.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.