The true story of “We Built This City”- the most detested song in human history

OK, I am sorry for this:

Also, try it at double speed.

2 Likes

I can appreciate that, but honestly, I am guessing that many in pop music feel similarly about the banality of their product. Even just in the same year, in San Francisco, I guarantee there was more detestable music. Perhaps it shows me as being cynical and jaded, but I think that most pop music “hits” are so widely played because of - not despite - how lame they are. So “We Built This City” is more the rule than the exception, and not even an exemplar of this trend.

At least they are singing mostly in the first person here, which gives them an automatic advantage over the bulk of pop music which is sung to “you”… Second-person address in songs usually gets them urgently dismissed, there are few things I find more bothersome.

I don’t understand this. Caring about a song enough to detest it sounds paradoxical to me. I simply avoid pop music, so I approach it all as an outsider.

And besides, forgettable hooks are the best kind!

3 Likes

The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference.

5 Likes

Popobawa and the Wangs - “Silly Indifference Songs”

I certainly don’t agree with that. Maybe if we acknowledge love/hate as a dichotomy, their mutual opposite could be indifference. Since the universe is mostly pure indifference, I think it is more accurate, and so perhaps the most refined form of compassion. Where it is not tainted by selfish sentimentality and attachment. Kindness through logic, that’s our motto!

3 Likes

Take that to the band names thread, please!

6 Likes

If someone were to poke you in the face with a sharp stick, you would care, and you would detest it. If you were to hear about someone poking at some rock with a sharp stick, you probably wouldn’t care enough to have any emotional reaction at all.

Many neurotypicals would prefer to be hated than ignored. YMMV of course.

3 Likes

Isn’t that what pop music is all about?

Exactly! That’s why we invented avant garde music.

Well, it is certainly popular to encourage people to have lots of emotional problems. Whether or not it helps I think is debatable. Perhaps it is only once people can get off of the love/hate, attract/repel, pleasure/pain, reward/punish cycles that there is any chance of truly knowing them!

I’m not. It reminds me of listening to Dr Demento growing up. I loved that stuff then, and on some level, I still do.

Here’s one more:

2 Likes

I like that song, but the instrumental of What Time is Love is my JAM.

KLF 4 EVR

OMFG - I loved that skit.

1 Like

Just remember in the words of Joel Hodgson and “the Bots” "

if you own a Night Ranger album, you are not a beatnik".

6 Likes

Just for that, I am leaving you with the most anguished movie review ever written on the internet.
https://web.archive.org/web/20090812042603/http://www.mutantreviewers.com/rfireflies.html

As well as the most tone deaf cross promotion ever done by a candy company.

7 Likes

The Muppets version of ANY song is always going to be better.

Rule of thumb, anyone who has acted with Muppets is automatically cool. There are no exceptions to this rule.

4 Likes

Grave of the Fireflies in the same thread as We Built This City?

Well that escalated quickly. :pensive:

5 Likes

John Denver? Sandy Duncan? Mummenschantz?

4 Likes

Built, firebombed, same diff.

3 Likes

The guy sang Rocky Mountain High more than 40 years before it was legal…what’s cooler than that?

5 Likes

It’s probably more cringeworthy for the connections with Gary Glitter than for the music.

1 Like

ikr
Last Train to Trancentral was mine for a long time 8D

At the Vegas Blueman Group, they play that song at the end.

After the show they will “kiss” your ticket. I told them great choice on the KLF for the end song. He actually talked and said, you must have been conscience in the 80s. I said, well it came out in 1990, but yes. But I got a Blueman to talk, so I got that going for me.

6 Likes

Oh, absolutely! @chgoliz has already given credit for John Denver. I had to check Wikipedia to confirm the time frame, but in the period she did the Muppet Show, she was performing with Danny Kaye and Flip Wilson. Oh yeah, that’s big time cool, there! (Apparently she was also in Midnight Cowboy, although that was an uncredited appearance.)

Mummenschanz may not exactly be a household name today, or certainly not in America, but they certainly were forerunners of groups like The Blue Man Group. Whether or not that qualifies them as cool may be up for contest, but my household sure thinks so. (Disclaimer: we may not be the best judges of what is or is not cool in modern, or any other, society.)

Now I might argue about Milton Berle being an exception, but I’ll at least grant that his appearance on the Muppet Show was a bit of balance towards some of the other moments in his life.

5 Likes