The true story of “We Built This City”- the most detested song in human history

In that case, Donna Summer did the song a huge service; she upgraded the hell out of it.

11 Likes

Damn! And all these years I was blaming Grace Slick for the song. Way to go screwing with my confirmation bias.

6 Likes

I liked both songs, loved the animation in both, especially the last one…

4 Likes

I wonder if we will ever hear the original?

3 Likes

Obviously Kim Mitchell never made it out of Canada.

::blaaaarg::

3 Likes

The animation is mainly what appeals to me in those vids, but the music is cool too.

You’ve seen me post this one before, right?

5 Likes
Bernie Taupin (lyricist, in 2013): The original song was… a very dark song about how club life in L.A. was being killed off and live acts had no place to go.

I think it’s really unfair to judge the song until you’ve heard the original lyrics and instrumentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

8 Likes

32 Likes

I’m shallow when it comes to a catchy tune with accessible lyrics that don’t require much thought… so I pretty much love a lot of the songs everybody hates…

“We Built this City”, “My Humps”, “We didn’t start the fire”. “MacArthur Park”.

I’ve even been known to put Rebecca Black’s “Friday” on repeat. No idea how I’m still married.

25 Likes
12 Likes

Nope, but that was great too. I wish I could remembers a good animated video to share…

Based on the 1st and 3rd song, you may like this. Depending on your age, you may have heard it before. Though not animated, the video is noted for being one long ~4 min take.

7 Likes

I think what put me off “We Built This City” was that I was an usher at the UIC Pavilion in 1985, and Starship played (with special guests Night Ranger). They opened with “We Built This City,” which I thought was a bit odd, opening with your big hit at the time instead of working up to it. They did an OK set, although they butchered White Rabbit. Then they CLOSED with “We Built This City!” Ugh!

12 Likes

I loved this song back in its hey day. And I hate myself for it.

Edit: Longer story of no interest to most: Things were different in 1985, for those of you not old enough to remember. Hearing a song you like wasn’t a gimme at all times like it is now. I was with relatives in Mexico for a month that summer and if the stars aligned at night I could get a radio signal or two from New Orleans. Heard this song soon after it was released and I thought it was awesome. Truth is, anything other than Sabado Gigante was awesome by that point.

16 Likes

OH wait - Caravan Palace. I thought that style sounded familiar. It is the intro to the You are Not So Smart podcast!

I been meaning to get an album to check out.

ETA - File this under "well that escalated quickly"

3 Likes

The Fray’s ‘How to Save a Life’. No, I’m not linking that crap and fuck me for even mentioning it.

7 Likes

Obligs:

Fun fact; that was my personal theme song for the last guy I dated who didn’t deserve me. (Man, am I relieved to have that monkey off my back.)

12 Likes

Love the Beatles. But…Mr. Moonlight?

3 Likes

How about the Macarena?

Or this gem, which, to be fair, was never a hit and the only reason I know it is because of it being on the dvd for the film… every time I hear this song, I have to laugh…:

10 Likes

Or how about Who Let the Dogs Out?

Why was that song ever popular?

23 Likes

I got 'em all beat:

McCartney’s unforgivable “Wonderful Christmastime.” I don’t care how close I am to the register and how many items I’m carrying, if that song comes on, I’m leaving the store instantly.

28 Likes