The true story of “We Built This City”- the most detested song in human history

The catharsis of barking like a dog?

6 Likes

White people?

19 Likes

Bully Joel’s “We Didn’t Start the Fire” is far worse.

10 Likes

Can’t detest something that led to A Half Man Half Biscuit tune

4 Likes

The truly amazing thing is that there were building inspectors willing to sign off on the project. Rock & Roll makes a terrible foundation for any large-scale construction endeavor.

23 Likes

You win.

10 Likes

A lot of terrible, terrible songs in here. But, are there any worse than Achy Breaky Heart? Something by ICP? Rod Stewart? Ice Ice Baby?

Starship is by far not the worst offender.

5 Likes

Sure…if you’re going to go country. Bobby Bare:
Drop Kick Me, Jesus (Chorus) Drop kick me, Jesus through the goal posts of life. End over end, neither left nor to right.

11 Likes
Least Essential Greatest Hits Collection   Tag Team, The Best Of Tag Team

Have you ever wished that someone would collect all of Tag Team’s hits on one convenient album? No? Well, that didn’t prevent Bellmark Records from releasing The Best Of Tag Team, collecting everything from “Whoomp! (There It Is) [House Mix]” to “Whoomp! (Si Lo Es),” to the unforgettable “Whoomp! (There It Is) [Remix 2000]” in one handy collection. But what makes The Best Of Tag Team truly inessential is its failure to include the original “Whoomp! (There It Is),” not to mention the group’s second biggest pop hit, “Addams Family (Whoomp),” or even that song’s long-awaited remix, “Addams Family (Whoomp) There It Is (2000).”

The Onion AV Club

10 Likes

Is my prize ‘the internet?’

4 Likes

I see your Who Let the Dogs Out and raise you a Thong Song.

10 Likes

Billy Joel had so many terrible songs it’s hard to pick an actual worst. But debating between “this song made me want to stick an ice pick in my ear” vs “this song makes me want to bang my head against a wall until the brain damage turns off my hearing” eventually feels like splitting the hairs of an angel on a pin.

8 Likes

For me, We Built… represented the absolute worst of MTV and the 80’s. Jefferson Airplane/Starship had a decent catalogue and then Satan (some MTV mucky muck) appeared and convinced them (and others) that they had to go this route in order to stay relevant. I get that they had bills to pay, but it really it was like a giant buzz kill for some of us. Most of those other songs listed above came from new acts. (Yes, @Donald_Petersen, that McCartney xmas song makes me want to puke, too.)

13 Likes

Myeeowp Myeeowp Myeeowp Myeeowp Myeeowp…
Myeeowp Myeeowp Myeeowp Myeeowp Myeeowp…

1 Like

White people have made some awful things but Anslem Douglas from Trinidad and Tobago created a song that the Baha men revised and released.

Though the Baha Men were from the Bahamas, and it appears the song was actually pushed by management. So maybe partially responsible… Though we can blame the music manager.

Band member Dyson Knight told Vice that the song “…was originally sung by a Trinidadian artist whose name is Anslem Douglas.
The manager of the Baha Men at that time heard a version of the song in
Europe. He called [Knight’s bandmate] Isaiah [Taylor] and told him it
was an absolute must that Baha Men record that song, because they had
the vibe to make it a huge hit. Isaiah heard the song and said there was
‘no way in hell we’re recording that song’…Management had the vision,
and the Baha Men were reluctant, but the group went in and recorded it
anyway. The rest is history.”[2]

2 Likes

Okay, now you win.

Dumps like a truck, truck, truck
Thighs like what, what, what…

Lyrics from Satan’s Karoke, I swear…

5 Likes

What about “Cha Cha Slide?”

“Reverse! Reverse!”

I’m just saying that white people made it popular… it’s a joke, ya know? ;-)[quote=“Mister44, post:55, topic:84572”]
Though we can blame the music manager.
[/quote]

Always?

2 Likes

?

Or, the funny version…

13 Likes

The first MTV music video I saw. My mind just unravels at the fact that this song was churned out by the same guy who wrote ‘The Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp’.

ETA: Whoops, looks like Harrison didn’t write ‘(I’ve) Got My Mind Set on You’—it’s a cover. Which, in a way, is even worse.

4 Likes