The video for "Funky Town" is as 80s as it gets

Yup. This is peak 1970ies.

1 Like

her robot was god-awful. everyone assumes they can robot, and most cannot, but hers was one of the worst I’ve seen.

@SpunkyTWS your pic is exactly why The Goldbergs is wack and Freaks and Geeks rules.

@micah it’s actually Susan Powter

1 Like

In my experience, when people think of the '70’s they’re really thinking of Disco.

The body of Disco was still twitching until about '82-ish

1 Like

Thanks. The first thing I thought when watching this was, “Does this woman actually sing the song?” I was getting C+C Music Factory vibes all the way.

4 Likes

This is one of the things Stranger Things got spot on: the fact that wood paneling was still a huge thing in the early '80s.

4 Likes

Very True. I sometimes think of the 70s as having lasted until '81 - '82. Though… like William Gibson quipped, “the future is already here, it’s just unevenly distributed.” Blondie still had chart topping hits up until '82, but New Order was formed in 1980. The Smiths released their first album in… uh… 84? But Stevie Wonder still had a number 1 hit that same year.

And thankfully there was a lot more in the 70s than disco, much of it good: Eno, Queen, Fleetwood Mac. Heck, I even still like the Doobie Bros and Lynyrd Skynyrd. And Townes van Zandt is as good a songwriter as you’ll find in the 20th century, though most of us didn’t realize that until much later.

4 Likes

I have the same problem with the '60’s.

In my head 60’s music tends to be from about '67 through '73

4 Likes

The ”Mouth to Mouth” album that has Funkytown was released 1979 and did “ok” in sales. The massively successful multi-platinum chart topping single release of Funkytown was released in 1980.

Depending on your level of pedantry around things like “when did the 1980s start”, or “is the record release date or single date more relevant” it can really go either way.

1 Like

I can’t find any more the name of the dance troupe, but as I recall, they worked on some European music show playing Today’s Hits, and always dressed like that.

Here are other versions (e.g. folk, reggae) by the writer:

You’re not going to tell me that Pop Muzik ('79) isn’t an Eighties song.

2 Likes

Too true.

But my main reason for commenting is the awesome Atari 2600 Adventure dragon on the wall in the lower pic. I want it!

EDIT: I found a blog of how the scene was created:

4 Likes

That brings to mind exercise videos from the same era.

5 Likes

I was thinking about this recently with regards to the 60s. When the Beatles hit, they hit BIG in 1964. They hit the top single spot in January w/ “I Want to Hold Your Hand.”
And then the next month with “She Loves You” and “Please Please Me.” And they kept having number one single after number one single. Nothing quite like it (except maybe Elvis) - I sometimes say the 60s began in 1964 with the Beatles.

But when did the decade of 60s music end? Steely Dan? Dueling Banjos? Frankenstein? i.e.- 1972. Maybe. But it seems like the stylistic differences between late 60s and mid 70s were harder to see.

4 Likes

“Now, if you’ll excuse me: I’m about to beat my brain with a hammer to remove this song from my head.”

I love that line.

I wonder if Cynthia Johnson was the voice for the nightclub singer in the original Mad Max movie?

4 Likes

The song and the aesthetics are more Tail End of the Seventies than Eighties. Carter was still president, Reagan and the rise of greedy assholes was just around the corner, but this song and the video is still from the disco/punk/glam era.

The Eighties were the real lost generation, where a movie that indicted conservatives spitting on hippy vets, First Blood, morphed into a patriotic franchise. Where a movie about an underdog loser who had to side as a mob goon somehow performing better than expected became another patriotic franchise. Watching Sylvester Stallone go from dramatic actor to action star is a good feel of how the decade warped us.

4 Likes

5 seconds of “Funky Town” convinced me that I have lived this long in order to escape the '80s.

1 Like

I’m old enough to remember no music videos and then lived through the whole MTV thing, I’m still not into music video unless it’s a live concert.

I love the song Funky Town and the video is cool for what it is, a snapshot of what was state of the art way back when.

1 Like

Sexual intercourse began
In nineteen sixty-three
(which was rather late for me) -
Between the end of the Chatterley ban
And the Beatles’ first LP.

6 Likes

I grew up in the 80s. My next door neighbour kept the woodgrain and the ashtrays. I decided to just go full arcade:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.