The video for "Funky Town" is as 80s as it gets

Originally published at: The video for "Funky Town" is as 80s as it gets | Boing Boing

4 Likes

The Chroma Key is pretty solid for such an ancient bit of work.

Based on the see through nature of the one performer’s costume, I presume that this video wasn’t intended for US or UK release.

Edited for added negativity.

12 Likes

That video in 720p is certainly more, ahem, ‘detailed’ than I remember while watching on a fuzz-o-matic 80’s era tv set. Lol

9 Likes

Alas, this was one the first song the instructor taught us to when I was dragged to dance class as an adolescent.

5 Likes

well, sledgehammer it wasn’t. but the tune still slaps.

7 Likes

This is who actually sang the song.

31 Likes

Ugh! I had a summer job that allowed me to have a radio. The one station that came in clearly played this about once an hour, every hour, day after day, week after week. Probably still are.

6 Likes

Tits were fin in the '80’s. It’s since then we’ve (not me though) become more censorious.
Blame the Christian right. Probably.

3 Likes

Director: “I swear, white people can do The Robot. Trust me!”

5 Likes

(Although in truth depending on economic status and location the truth is a little more mixed.)

20 Likes

I didn’t know Princess Diana sang this song!

4 Likes
4 Likes

Not meaning to slight the song, but I think the video plays better silent.

3 Likes

Obligatory Todd in the Shadows:

7 Likes

That made my gums numb.

3 Likes

Well, at least you can’t say that the group’s name is inaccurate.

As an aside it’s really weird to me to think this is a song from the 1980s. (Yes I realize it’s at the very tail end of disco’s popularly, but still.)

5 Likes

Seems more late 70s than 80s.

2 Likes

The lady lip syncing here is Debbie Jenner, who was also singer in Doris D & The Pins.
They had some hits in the Netherlands around 1981.
The one below got to number one, and is also pretty 80s

5 Likes

Not everyone’s family redecorated, ripping out the carpets and re-doing the walls and replacing all the furniture, in 1982.

My memories of the '80s was of yellow bottle-bottom glass sliding doors and burnt orange and forest green and mission brown, and maybe a Patrick Nagel-style print in a particularly fashionable home.

5 Likes
3 Likes