The video for Malcolm McLaren's 'Double Dutch' is still amazing

Originally published at: The video for Malcolm McLaren's 'Double Dutch' is still amazing | Boing Boing

8 Likes

and for variety

5 Likes

Same guy who was the manager for the Sex pistols?

3 Likes

I gotta detour the topic just a bit to the double dutch bus song. In the video, there is a dialog, starting at around 2:16, with extensive use of izzle. It’s cool, but I have no idea what they’re saying, though it seems both persons are fluent. Nice!

2 Likes

Yes.

3 Likes

yeah. when Eminem says “two trailer park girls go round the outside” at the beginning of (I think it’s) The Real Slim Shady Without Me, he’s referencing “Buffalo Gals” and when Q-Tip says “we on award tour with Muhammad my man” etc on Award Tour that’s referencing the end of Hobo Scratch which was the flip side of the Double Dutch single

also MacLaren managed The New York Dolls before the Sex Pistols. he tried to get his hooks into everything back then.

5 Likes

Is that Soca music on “Double Dutch”. This is my first time seeing this video and hearing this song.

Fingers in many pies.
Ready to exploit anyone.

4 Likes

Including teenagers like the singer Anabella Lwin, who was 13 when she became the singer of his band creation Bow Wow Wow.

5 Likes

Malcolm McLaren’s “Cultural Appropriation”.

The dancing is amazing.

3 Likes

I was just coming here to say that anyone unfamiliar with MacLaren‘s finger pies outside of the Sex Pistols needs to check out Bow Wow Wow. See Jungle! See Jungle! Go Join Your Gang, Yeah! City All Over, Go Ape Crazy is one of the best albums of the early 80’s. Burundi drumming, surf guitar, a firecracker lead singer in Annabella, and one of the greatest bass players in rock history. Criminally under appreciated band these days

1 Like

there’s a live performance of theirs that showcases how tight a unit they were, perhaps in Ugh A Music War? never ended up following up on them, though. their hit “I Want Candy” is from the Nuggets compilation, and is itself the song “Bo Diddley” with different lyrics and solos.

1 Like

it sounds like Soweto music to me but that’s not my area of expertise. wiki says soca goes back to the 70s in Trinidad so who knows?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.