The weird romance between "PharmaBro" Martin Shkreli and the journalist who first broke the news about his bullshit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/03/the-weird-romance-between-pharmabro-martin-shkreli-and-the-journalist-who-first-broke-the-news-about-his-bullshit.html

3 Likes

Whatever’s driving Smythe to sacrifice everything to be with that sociopath, the story (including the all-too-predictable ending) just left me sad. The choice of Elle’s stylist that you mention also seemed gratuitously cruel.

7 Likes

Shkreli’s cult of one. How… lame.

5 Likes

I’m glad I came across this. Now I know there is at least one person who makes worse choices in life than I do.

17 Likes

Book deal may have been primary motivation for the ‘romance’. Actually wanting to get jiggy with the convict? Who cares?

6 Likes

Why the fuck do people do this?

5 Likes

JampackedWealthyGuanaco-size_restricted

9 Likes

If you mean why do people start “relationships” with prison inmates, I figure it’s an escalation of the workplace crushes that a lot of people cultivate. Sometimes you have emotional needs or impulses that you can’t get rid of, but which you can’t (or wouldn’t want to) pin on a real person, so instead you attach them to a relationship that can never be real.

Sometimes a secret fantasy life with Steve from accounting can be a healthy way to process feelings, but of course it can reach unhealthy levels too. I would suggest that if you’re practising signing your last name as “Manson” or “Shkreli”, it may be time to refocus on real life.

4 Likes

“I was so angry at the establishment, and people who wouldn’t let me tell my story in the book” - no, she was angry that they wouldn’t pay for her story.

Also Shkreli has already discarded her as no longer useful.

3 Likes

I think that there is probably a big queue behind you, and that’s just counting Trump and BREXIT Voters.

1 Like

UnpleasantConsiderateHaddock-max-1mb

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.