The weirdest bumbling cat burglar movie of all time

Are you thinking of The Adventures of Ford Fairlane that came out a year earlier? (and was terrible as shit)

6 Likes

Apparently, Hudson Hawk is available streaming on Starz (I know many cable companies throw that in with what ever level of service)

https://www.starz.com/movies/16828

And can be rented or purchased from several other locations…

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/hudson-hawk

Looks like I might have to watch it again.

3 Likes

The very idea of microwave sushi is so repulsive that it made those two 100% more despicable as villians.

6 Likes

One of my favorite movies of all time.
James Coburn in it, the star of spy thrillers Our Man Flint and In Like Flint.
The code on the cuffs being the phone ring of said spy thrillers.
Listen to the director’s commentary, and, I swear to god, about every 15 minutes they say “It did really well in Europe”.
As a younger man, I laughed at the Playboy air freshener in the Ambulance.

3 Likes

From day one I have always asked “how the hell would that work? Is it frozen sushi? Is it all tempura rolls?” However, I would happily eat reindeer goat cheese pizza any day.

2 Likes

After a long absence I went back and watched it again a couple of years ago and, honestly, found it even more entertaining than the first time around because this time I was expecting it to be a ridiculous, over-the-top, nonsensical heist comedy.

And while I usually don’t get much out of DVD/BluRay extras it was fun to learn that Bruce Willis still has fond memories of this film even though it was a flop and he’s glad it’s found a cult following.

5 Likes

Pretty sure it was Ring-Ding goat cheese pizza.

2 Likes

Pretty sure you are incorrect (and just checked the subtitles on my copy where it is in fact reindeer)

Also, what the hell is a ring ding? That makes no sense when compared to the menu served at the five tone bar and grill.

EDIT: He also repeats the line in The Last Boy Scout and it sure as hell ain’t ring ding there either.

Fair enough. Makes a lot more sense that way.

Was Hudson Hawk a reference to Studebaker Hawk? He was he draft board agent who tried to rope in Billy the Mountain on one of the Mothers of Invention’s albums.

1 Like

The movie also has some fun proto-steampunk elements. It’s a wonderful chaotic mess of a movie. Along with Spielberg’s “1941” it’s one of my guilty pleasure movies.

4 Likes

Hallelujah! And there was li’l ole me thinking I was the only person on the planet that loved this movie :grimacing:

4 Likes

I have taken to describing this film as the strangest film about a man trying to get a cappuccino.

Strangely enough, that doesn’t seem to sell people on the concept.

8 Likes

one of the greatest lines from the movie!

3 Likes

Came here to drop that quote. So, instead:

“Happiness comes from the achievement of goals. But when you made your first billion by the age of 19 it’s hard to keep coming up with ones. Well, finally, I’ve got myself a New Goal… WORLD DOMINATION!!!”

4 Likes

We’ve gone on holiday by mistake!

4 Likes

One of the electronic locks in the film had a series of tones that were taken from "In Like Flint"
specifically his flint phone.
http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2017-03-05_7549739125831384/movies/misc/our_man_flint_phone_x.wav

Austin Powers uses the same ring tone too.

3 Likes

I’ve got to watch this. Up to now my favorite bumbling crook film has been ‘Bottle Rocket’.

1 Like

A co-worker here has the ‘Our Man Flint’ presidential hotline phone ringtone on his cell. First day I heard it, I leaned over the cubicle wall and called him Darryl.

Correction: Derek!

2 Likes

Well, the in-movie explanation is that the ‘hawk’ refers to the cold breeze that comes in off the river in the winters (think lake effect snow if you live near one), and that the character was born near the Hudson river.

The movie has held up exceedingly well over the years despite the fact that it’s 26 years old and some of the technology is dated. (video tape for the surveillance recorders? no one uses that anymore.)

2 Likes