The White House call girl who triggered the Watergate break-in

[Permalink]

No call girls at the George W. Bush white house!

Only legitimate journalists stayed overnight without using a guest room.

2 Likes

Happy ending?

But there was also the “DC Madam” who ended up hanging herself in the toolshed.

Not to mention the “Hookergate” scandal that sent Republican congressman Duke Cunningham to federal prison.

No call girls at the George H. W. Bush white house either!

Those children were just getting “special” overnight tours!

Good point! But I think Cheney wasn’t doing the deed in the actual White House, he was at an undisclosed location.

1 Like

Dick is a tremendously underrated movie.

1 Like

What’s was the name of that informant again? Hmmmmm.

This isn’t exactly news, though hearing her side of it is. G. Gordon Liddy liked the book that broke than information in the 1980s, google watergate prostitution ring.

Although I obviously haven’t read the book yet (it comes out next week), I will point out that the summary included here is an old and well-known story, in a somewhat revisionist mold.

Here is an NYTimes review from 1984 of “Secret Agenda”, by Jim Hougan, that similarly argued for a Watergate-prostitution scandal connection. Anthony Lucas, the reviewer, charitably calls this theory “speculative”.

In 1991, meanwhile, another book (“Silent Coup”, by Len Colodny and Robert Gettlin) argued that White House Counsel John Dean was the real mastermind behind Watergate. Supposedly, his motive was to cover up his fiancee’s (Maureen Biner) connection to the alleged prostitution ring organized by her roommate, Heidi Rikan. Dean sued the authors and their publisher for defamation, and the suit was settled out of court. More mainstream historians have not looked favorably on these conspiracy theories.

Long story short, that was a nice promo video, and I look forward to reading this when it comes out. But it seems unlikely that this will revolutionize our understanding of Watergate.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.