The White House closed its public comment lines, so activists launched a tool to call Trump properties instead

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/27/the-white-house-closed-its-pub.html

11 Likes

I’m sorry but this isn’t okay. The people that work at those properties are likely underpaid, overworked, and absolutely underappreciated. They have bills to pay and children to feed and they took the job that was available. To bombard them with angry calls about the Orange Overlord is beyond unfair. Don’t make the peons’ lives miserable because the King is a wretch.

17 Likes

Sadly, that currently describes the entire governmental workforce at the moment.

36 Likes

Yep - I’m no Trumpist, but harrassing some poor receptionist, or care taker, on minimum wage, because you’re pissed with him is a grade A dick-move. Ring your congress-person instead if you must pester someone.

13 Likes

Tormenting tRump for the next 4 years is going to be fun, and fairly easy to boot.

5 Likes

pish posh - they won’t be miserable for long - if they get enough calls to be an issue, management will allocate a resource or something - it’s not actually the government

also, people who use this method really ought not to be jackasses about it

8 Likes

I can hear the complaints now:
“Hello? I’ve neen trying to get my gold-plated minibar restocked wih peanuts for five minutes!”

9 Likes

I would personally be super okay with that “fun” not lasting four years or even four months.

17 Likes

RESIST! (as long as you’re not inconveniencing anyone)

22 Likes

It is true that those on the lowest rung of the totem pole often have the most crap raining down upon them. But that seems to be true of America in general these days.

Making a call doesn’t mean that you have to be a jerk to the person on the other end of the line. A polite call will still be noticed; many polite calls will definitely be noticed. Impacting Trump’s businesses (which he hasn’t divested) when he is shutting down all means of discourse might be the only way to get his attention.

27 Likes

Is that likely, though? They’re asking millions of pissed off liberals to call and “voice their concern” to Barb in customer service at Trump Steaks. Those complaints will never make it to Trump but they sure will make Barb’s job a living hell.

Speaking as one of those pissed off liberals, this isn’t the way to do this.

9 Likes

I wish I could believe is how this will go down. But realistically, there will be hundreds or thousands of calls to random phone numbers at golf courses and hotels to minimum wage switchboard operators who just want to get through the day without the jackass in room 210 complaining that his water isn’t self-flagellation-level hot. And these callers are all, as a common thread, displeased (to put it mildly) with our new senior executive.

And having been a phone jockey at four different call centers, I can guarantee you 0/4 of my CEOs ever got forwarded any of the complaints I received.

8 Likes

There’s a difference between inconveniencing the President and his staff with whom you disagree and seriously overloading innocent civilians just trying to do their already sucky jobs.

6 Likes

Once upon a time, I worked at Wal-Mart. The pay was crap, and I hated every moment of it, but it was the only place that would hire a recent college grad.

One day, a couple approached me. “Do you know you’re working for an evil conglomerate that’s destroying our right to a union?” they asked. Not wanting any trouble, I ignored them. However, they wouldn’t let up. I told them that this was the only job I could find, and ignored them. They eventually left, before one last “Remember your rights!”

Two days later, I was fired. The official reason was failure to cooperate, but it turned out my manager saw me near the well-meaning liberals shouting about workers’ rights and assumed I was in cahoots. It took me almost a year to find another job.

Rest assured, the CEO never heard their grievances.

22 Likes

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Remember this was launched due to Drumpf’s administration shutting down the WH public comment lines. Saying activism doesn’t work is why we’re in this current mess with this joker right now. Maybe annoying his employees will get the public comment lines back open, perhaps. That would certainly be a simple solution. Drumpf killed being PC so all bets are off now.

12 Likes

some people have alternative facts, other people have alternative methodologies - and anyhoo, all fixed, fast-frozen relations, with their train of ancient and venerable prejudices and opinions, are swept away, all new-formed ones become antiquated before they can ossify, all that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and man is at last compelled to face with sober senses his real conditions of life, and his relations with his kind, and so forth

1 Like

Think of it as a living DDOS attack.

27 Likes

You have to be a patron of a private firm to access your government?

Sounds like an illegal sole source contract.

25 Likes

Not just a private firm: one that amasses extensive personal information about you in the process.

You can make an anonymous call or an anonymous email. You can’t make an anonymous comment via Facebook.

23 Likes

I could care less about where calls get routed by this little group. What got my attention was the White House telling the American public that they have to use Facebook in order to leave a comment for the executive branch.

24 Likes