The World's Longest Mullet

Originally published at: The World's Longest Mullet | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Business in the front, Mardi Gras parade in the back.

5 Likes

unaccountable etymological urges:

mullet
“hairstyle short the sides and long in back,” 1996, perhaps from mullet-head “stupid, dull person” (1857). Mullet-head also was a name of a type of North American freshwater fish with a large, flat head (1866) with a reputation for stupidity. The term in reference to the haircut seems to have emerged into pop culture with the Beastie Boys song “Mullet Head.”:
#1 on the side and don’t touch the back
#6 on the top and don’t cut it wack, Jack
[Beastie Boys, “Mullet Head”]

1 Like

I had an issue of Grand Royale magazine (Beastie Boys produced) that had a long history of the mullet in it. Probably about ‘96

ETA

Issue 2 so ‘95 according to the cover.

4 Likes

Her name seems perfect.

1 Like

Let your mullet flag fly!

2 Likes

I’ve viewed the mullet quite differently ever since a historian pointed out that the standard women’s hairstyle for parts of the 18th and 19th century in Europe and the US was long in the back, but the front was kept short (often curled). So basically all those modern Regency romances are lacking mullets. It’s something that we’re not aware of because modern visual depictions (i.e. Hollywood films and the actresses fully modern hairstyles) over-ride our understanding derived from visual depictions (paintings, prints, the occasional early photograph) of the time.

3 Likes

Not a very tame mane at all.

1 Like

I’m just astonished that she got second place in a mullet contest…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.