The X-Misses: Christmas music to sing to and rage by

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/24/no-christmas-in-hell.html

4 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

The Christmas Cat by Pete the Cat is already on heavy rotation.
I’ll have to preview these for suitability to an3 year old

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of Christmas, frankly, as a largely unreconstructed pagan celebration, so I typically don’t feel a lot of rage towards it. My go-to for secular “carol” music is usually the Cocteau Twins, particularly Treasure.

3 Likes
4 Likes

This album is amazing. I got the hat-tip from Christmas A-Go-Go on Twitter last year, and I’m thrilled. Such great stuff all around. (@weird_christmas)

3 Likes
3 Likes

I quite enjoyed the X-Misses! Thanks for the link.
The girl singer has a wonderful voice, and though I don’t think it lived up to the rage and hate advertised, they were certainly a refreshing break from the norm.
I think if I walked into a mainstream store and heard these over the sound system, I would give them ALL my business.
Meanwhile, it’s not even Thanksgiving and I already have to keep a list of places I won’t be returning until MLK day.

1 Like

Welcome aboard, comrade! What’s you favourite weird_christmas song? I’m a traditionalist when it comes to Yuletide cheer. This even beats out “Killing in the Name of” as my favourite UK Christmas #1.

1 Like

Seconded! My friends and family have been enjoying DJ Riko’s seasonal mixes every Christmas for over a decade since you first mentioned them here @doctorow, thanks :santa: :slight_smile:

It’s an apocalyptic sort of time, after all…

6 Likes

Removing the boppety-bop rhythm and toning it well down does wonders for McCartney’s xmas opus

1 Like
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.