The Yogi Bear Graveyard

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/21/the-yogi-bear-graveyard.html

3 Likes

I hope Yogi’s last resting place receives the same level of adoration as sites like Oscar Wilde’s, Jim Morrison’s, or Marilyn Monroe’s. Don’t light a candle, though. Too many pine needles. Too much grass.

5 Likes

Chicken-fried liver? Somebody hold my gall bladder, watch this!

2 Likes

my kingdom for a fiberglass Boo-Boo. i want one, i want one!

6 Likes

Man, I’m surprised that the campground couldn’t find buyers for the statues. Maybe there are licensing reasons that they couldn’t be used commercially, but why not charge someone $10 so they can stick it in their backyard for the kids to dance around?

The A&W Root Beer restaurants used to have mascot statues. My town rescued a bunch; they’re on display down by the municipal pool:

Signage:

9 Likes

Honey Fried Chicken? What is that? It sounds delicious!

3 Likes

Honey-fried chicken sounds fantastic. I’m sure the food hipsters’ll be along in a minute to tell me what a culinary Philistine I am.

3 Likes

There is a chain of Yogi Bear themed RV camper sites across the eastern US.

But despite how fancy their website looks, they are uniformly the sneeziest places.

3 Likes

Something tells me we’d see you running around in it similar to Scout (To Kill a Mockingbird) dressed up as ham.

1 Like

Apparently not.

6 Likes

Save the liver!

https://videosift.com/video/The-French-Chef-Dan-Aykroyd-as-Julia-Child-Classic-SNL

2 Likes

Yes, safe that liver…

pyth-04

3 Likes

Hear’s an ear bear

3 Likes

That’s where the magic happens!

7 Likes

I went to one when I was about five. They had many, to my eyes, fun events scheduled, but I think everything was rained out.

2 Likes

“Heeeeeey Boo Boo… can you grab the KY Jelly out of the middle drawer…”

1 Like

For those of you too young to recognize it, there is another element of subtle bathos here. The motto of the original Yogi Bear’s eatery:

“How Sweet It Is”

is stolen, if you will. It is a (no doubt untrademarked) trademark phrase of comedian and actor Jackie Gleason, a hugely popular star of the mostly black-and-white '50’s and '60’s evening prime-time live variety show TV - The Jackie Gleason Show.

This was must-see TV in my parent’s house, and most of the country. The show opened with a monologue by Jackie, where he would be sitting down and sipping his “coffee” which he insinuated (and was likely to be) a big shot of booze. After a big gulp, and a grimace, he would strike this amazing pose and in a raspy voice say “… Smooth!..” or “…How sweet it is!..”.

A often-seen return skit character of the show was Ralph Kramden, the Brooklyn bus driver, was spun into the comedic hit show The Honeymooners.

If you have not partaken of the comic genius (and I don’t use the term lightly) of Jackie Gleason … run, don’t walk, to a Youtube or a DVD collection. His work is a big part of early television Americana.

4 Likes

And Hanna-Barbera’s other “rotten-animation”, excuse me, “limited-animation” show, “The Flintstones,” was a total rip-off of “The Honeymooners.”

I guess their attitude was if you stole something and turned it into animation it somehow wasn’t stealing.

2 Likes

:notes: “Gleason, Jackie Gleason - they ripped you off and made this show…”

(Video is cued.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.