"Then and Now" photos of Death Valley spots used for Tatooine in Star Wars

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/24/then-and-now-photos-of-dea.html

3 Likes

Uh-oh, a whole new rabbit hole to dive down.

8 Likes

And given that it’s Death Valley, the only native rabbits are the antelope jackrabbit, which are large, and make really big holes…

7 Likes

I used to bull’s-eye those things in my T-16.

24 Likes

Well played.

12 Likes

Why, those ARE the droids I’m looking for. Praise the maker!

8 Likes

Nightlife is a bit weird.

8 Likes

its crazy how fast erosion works in a place like that. Its easy to think about a mountains and canyons taking millions of years to form… and that’s mostly true but like, I was in the badlands and saw some markers that were something like 50 years old where you could clearly see a foot or more of hillside had washed away since they were placed.

3 Likes

as a life-long star wars fan, it kills me that i was in Death Valley a few years ago and somehow had no idea there were locations filmed there. for some reason i always thought they were all in Tunisia, but of course some were filmed in the US because it would be much, much cheaper.

5 Likes

I used to live near the Trona Pinnacles, which was the go-to location shot for cheesy Sci-Fi flicks for a long time.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Trona+Pinnacles/@35.6177691,-117.385662,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c145f0b0d18109:0xa3fdb5c8562aba3f!8m2!3d35.617736!4d-117.3681094

2 Likes

My brother John was working a steam machine in the Arizona desert for the scenes of Jabba’s sail barge at the Great Pit of Carkoon when the damn thing blew up (the machine that is) leaving him with 3rd degrees burns. He had to be airlifted out. Somewhere there is a get-well card signed by the entire cast and crew. I think my nephew has it.

8 Likes

Saw this and the other two in theaters, when they came out. They were astonishing to audiences who were raised on flames shooting out the back of rockets hanging by wires you could see.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.