There are 43 giant stone Presidential heads crumbling in a field in Virginia

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/06/there-are-43-giant-stone-presi.html

4 Likes

Add an Obama head to the collection, then slip them on to the White House lawn, right where Trump will see them, looking at him, first thing when he looks out the window at the crack of noon.

27 Likes

Looks like concrete heads, not stone.

14 Likes

Add a Turmp head (totally bald) and let it be known that the heads will be buried in Obama’s tomb to serve him in the afterlife.

18 Likes

Obligs.Presidents

31 Likes

There’s something similar in Houston, TX. I visited them once when they were still just out in the open in the back lot of the sculpture factory where they were made (I think they’ve since moved them inside a fence). There was no one there and myself and a friend were able to climb inside of them and take photos.

9 Likes

In a mirror universe Pierce Brosnan catapulted himself out of a CAIC Z-10 helicopter there.

3 Likes

all I want is one presidential head crumbling in a field in Virgina

11 Likes

If there’s 43 heads then Obama should already be included, unless they let Grover Cleveland have two busts.

The part that creeps me out is this:

Did a giant effigy of John Wilkes Booth sneak in to the park somehow?

27 Likes

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
‘My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!’
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

19 Likes

2DFc

6 Likes

firefly-toosoon

20 Likes

The f@*£k you f@*£ers?

2 Likes

Added a new, hopefully working link. Thanks.

4 Likes

Yes. The headline here is wrong. Stone doesn’t crumble so easily.

4 Likes

Thanks. That one works. Apparently Roadside America doesn’t want foreigners on their site, which is not only against the spirit of the internet but also seems like a bizarre move for a site that (presumably) wants to promote tourism…

7 Likes

True story - these heads were temporarily displayed in 2000 at the Norfolk Botanical Garden, Norfolk. VA … where I married my wife that spring. My conservative family - and my wife’s liberal family took a tram ride around the park - many were very surprised by the statues — and their feelings about each president could be heard from family members as was recorded on a camcorder video given to us later after the wedding. I still love the boos and hisses for Nixon. Which reminds me – to get those old videos off the VHS and convert to the digital cloud…

13 Likes

I’d be way more inclined to visit a field of crumbling, neglected giant presidential busts than the original park. It seems a much more artistic and educational history lesson.

11 Likes
10 Likes

Too bad that they probably won’t last long enough for future archeologists to puzzle over “Headhenge”.

5 Likes