There will 23,000 new eligible voters for Georgia's January run-off election

I think mail in voting had a lot to do with the increased turnout. It is far far easier than going to a poll on election day, can be done outside of work hours and is far more difficult to subject to vote suppression methods. Convincing a teenager to stick something in the mail is far easier than convincing them to go to the DMV or the local school and physically do something that takes time.

9 Likes

Another good omen for the election is that Trumpists are not as likely to turn out at the polls when Trump himself is not on the ballot. That’s one reason Democrats were able to take back the House in the 2018 midterms.

13 Likes

Unfortunately Kelly Loeffler’s nose is firmly up the Hair Führer’s ass.

8 Likes

I almost can hear the apoplectic Trump and Trumpians:

"How can there be _more_ voters in this second election, a run-off of the first?? This is rigged!!1!"

They will say the run-off should be just a “do-over” of the first. Because that interpretation is more convenient for their chances. The same way Trump invented all this voter “fraud”— because he needed it to be true.

They’ll need some “thoughts & prayers” to accomplish that. It’s one thing canvassing registered voters, who may or may not be motivated. But if someone has just registered (whatever their age), and there is an imminent election, they almost certainly registered to vote for that election.

5 Likes

It’s weird how so many people seem to overlook that fact.

11 Likes

It’s true that this has been a real problem in the past, and of course there are some young people who might not have voted, but that might not be due to laziness on their part. I’d also argue that putting your body out on the street and organizing is itself a critical form of democratic engagement, so I have no real criticism for people who are on the streets, but didn’t vote for whatever reason. :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

How many voters in Georgia are we estimating they will lose through death or migration in the same time?

How long would someone have to live in Georgia before they would qualify to vote there? If they voted in another senate race elsewhere in the country on the 3rd, would they be eligible to vote in the run-off?

This is one of the benefits of vote by mail. We sit down as a family and go over the voter’s pamphlet and discuss candidates and issues while we vote.

Also, automatic registration rocks. Have a pulse? You’re registered!

9 Likes

(Actually, that was not the High Tension I was looking for, but the title of this one seemed apt, so…)

1 Like

I don’t think in time for this election.

Incidentally, I’d normally say check out the secretary of state’s website for such questions, but it appears to be down:

http://www.sos.state.ga.us/

False alarm!

Looks like the first link might be an old one? This one seems to work.

8 Likes

I don’t know. COVID mortality among Black Americans is higher than any other ethnicity, and in GA they ARE the Democratic Party.

5 Likes

Not just, but yeah, a good portion of the democratic leadership and rank-and-file are African Americans…

8 Likes

The same could be said for Martha McSally (another Republican who was fighting to keep a Senate seat she was appointed to rather than elected to), yet the voters still handed McSally her walking papers.

If McSally couldn’t get the Republican voters to come to her rescue when their God-King was on the ballot then there’s a good chance they won’t come to Loeffler’s rescue in January.

12 Likes

:pray:

9 Likes

One hopes. There is still the problem of Perdue who comes from a well-known family (Sonny Perdue is his cousin) that’s based in GA and has much deeper roots here in the GOP (especially the more moderate wing of the party). He’s harder to unseat than Loeffler and I’d say that Ossoff is a weaker candidate than Warnock.

9 Likes

Good point… and depressing.

2 Likes

Barely Legal Teens Save the Senate? Sounds like a skinimax movie from the 90s.

4 Likes

the democratic stances on global warming, and their general tilt towards supporting the civil rights of all aamericans - not just cis straight white men - should be more than enough.

yes, they could focus specifically on some things like tuition free college - and some of them have - but the republicans have so completely lost their way, it’s clearly necessary to stop them

3 Likes

heck. i just learned last week that davy crockett surrendered. oh, the stories american kids are told.

2 Likes

Why is that depressing? Georgia has a large African American population (thanks in part to the pull of ATL). It’s honestly more about the rural-urban divide in GA with regards to the white vote. Most of white Atlantians in the metro area are beginning to lean democratic, as evidenced by the 7th and Gwinnett country flipping.

7 Likes