There's a Dune MMO game on the way

Originally published at: There's a Dune MMO game on the way | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Looking forward to this bit

10 Likes

That cover does a pretty lousy job of depicting what the character actually looks like.

And the real news from the gathering is that the world is also getting a Killer Klowns From Outer Space game.

One might assume this is an arhythm game.

7 Likes

Explore vast biomes like:
Sand
Hard Sand
Soft Sand
Subterranean Sand
Stone
Sand

9 Likes

Still up and running since 1992:
https://dunemud.net/

7 Likes

I’m sorry, but this is the canon version to me until the Villeneuve version

A bald man’s head inside a half sort of mechanical sandworm always pitched at a 90 degree angle. Frankly I think it’ll be like this in the movie anyway /s

My friend Jake had the 1992 Dune PC game and it seemed awesome at the time.

4 Likes

What was originally supposed to be a magazine article about Oregon’s dunes turned out to be:

a series of novels
Books
Comics
two movies
Two TV miniseries
video games
Soundtrack
And now MMO

So that’s it folks: if you’re researching to write an article, consider giving it up so you can build something much more amazing. You just need to have a lot of talent, of course.

2 Likes

“To the people whose labors go beyond ideas into the realm of ‘real materials’- to the dry-land ecologists, wherever they may be, in whatever time they work, this effort at prediction is dedicated in humility and admiration.”
―Frank Herbert

Came for this. Wasn’t disappointed.

Curious to see how close Dune Awakening will be to Dune 2000:

https://g.co/kgs/xkHwJS

1 Like

Cool video, but no hint of what you’ll actually be doing.

From the site:

Dune: Awakening combines the grittiness and creativity of survival games with the social interactivity of large-scale, persistent multiplayer games to create a unique and ambitious Open World Survival MMO. Rise from survival to dominance in a vast and seamless Arrakis shared by thousands of players.

• Survive the most dangerous planet in the universe. Build shelters against sandstorms, maintain your stillsuit, and master the old ways to walk even the deepest deserts. Avoid or be devoured by the colossal sandworms that dwell beneath the sands.
  • Explore the ever-changing face of Arrakis. Walk the ruins of long-forgotten biological testing stations, scavenge the wreckage of fallen spaceships, and wander the dusty halls of abandoned sietches. Head into unmapped sectors and be the first to discover secrets and riches before the coriolis storms once again shift the sands and alter the landscape.
  • Control the spice, control Arrakis. Hunt for spice blooms and deploy your harvester, then protect it from opportunistic raiders and rival factions. Soak the sand in blood as massive battles shift seamlessly from foot to vehicles and from ground to ornithopters in the sky.
  • Make plans within plans. Make a name for yourself among the inhabitants of Arrakis. Wield intrigue and force to influence the Landsraad and impact the world. Build your own faction through spice harvesting, trade, subterfuge, and open conflict.
  • Awaken the sleeper. Tailor every aspect of your character. Consume spice to conquer your senses and acquire powerful abilities. Hone your craft to become sought out for the finest creations. Construct your fortress in the style of your choosing. The journey is yours to shape.

I like the idea of exploring the planet, and the wreckage of fallen spaceships sounds pretty cool.

1 Like

Looks like we found out what happened to Andy from “Toy Story.”

4 Likes

Considering this is being developed by Funcom the developers behind the survival MMO Conan Exiles I think it’ll be fairly easy to extrapolate more or less what the gameplay will be like. Funcom also developed Secret World, Age of Conan and Anarchy Online, all of which are more along the lines of a traditional MMO.

3 Likes

The game’s Paul looks like a young Jürgen Prochnow.

1 Like

Oh, that’s an entire level of expertise I don’t have, so I traveled to the site for more info. It was useful for me, so I thought it might be useful to others, too. Still not quite sure what a “survival MMO” is, but I get that it’s a discrete genre.

1 Like

The gist of a “survival” game is that you play a character dumped into an open world (IE: A world you can explore with few limitations), but start with few to no resources and are expected to literally survive. You often need to manage things like hunger, thirst, etc. The is also generally coupled with some sort of crafting progression where you collect resources to build tools and structures which help you survive as well as produce more advanced tools and structures. Minecraft is widely regarded as when the sub-genre really took off in popularity. MMO just indicates that the game is expected to have a large number of players all in the same world competing or cooperating.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.