There's a Louis Vuitton ping pong set and it's still cheaper than that Tiffany's ball of yarn

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/20/theres-a-louis-vuitton-ping.html

But let’s be real, no self-respecting one-percenter is going to show up to play table tennis with that.

True self-respect doesn’t involve paying a premium to be a walking advertisement for a design house that seems to favour poop brown as its signature colour. Sadly, it’s not only members of the 1% who walk around in public with overpriced items emblazoned with someone else’s monogram.

1 Like

something about those leather paddle and ball restraints…er…covers tho…

11 Likes

Exactly what I thought.

4 Likes

3 Likes

So who is going to make the 24kt gold tumbrel?

2 Likes

I’d never been to the LV website and I have one question. Do they just make up prices!? Like this…

http://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/backpack-bag-charm-nvprod530114v

Its a charm for bags that looks like a backpack and is priced at $730?! Regardless of how much money you have surely that is a crazy amount to spend on a fucking charm. I think someone at LV has a random number generator and they tell it to pick a number between $500 and $5000 and whatever it falls on they know someone will buy. They might add a zero for fun.

3 Likes

Are those, ah, “ball restraints” really a thing? Are there practical versions used by actual ping pong players?

I had the impression that ping pong balls themselves were generally too flimsy to endure over the long term and that purchasing premium balls would be especially foolhardy.

Bunny Bixler and I were in the semi-finals—the very semi-finals, mind you—of the ping-pong tournament at the club and this ghastly thing happened. We were both playing way over our heads and the score was 29-28. And we had this really terrific volley and I stepped back to get this really terrific shot. And I stepped on the ping-pong ball! I just squashed it to bits. And then Bunny and I ran to the closet of the game room to get another ping-pong ball and the closet was locked! Imagine? We had to call the whole thing off. Well, it was ghastly. Well, it was just ghastly.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Yes, how did they miss the market for premium ping pong balls?

After all a typical match is probably a couple of dozen volleys, most of which end up with the ball landing on the floor. It’s not as if you want to re-use the ball after that happens, even if your ball handler picks them up afterwards.

Obviously, $10 a ball is a fair price, so $500 per dozen with the leather case they come in.

3 Likes

3 Likes

IKR?
How can it be a gag gift without, you know, a gag?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.