There's something very odd about the video showing off "Be", a prototype battery-less motorized toothbrush

There is if you want to cash out with a million dollars, or if you actually want the capital to make your idea a reality. If they hadn’t been slick, people wouldn’t have bit. And that applies across all sincerity levels.

I do agree that it is irritating, and that it ruins it for everyone else.

So far I’ve been very fortunate with everything I’ve kicked in on through Kickstarter; the worst I’ve experienced has been a delay.

3 Likes

Reminds me of this:

1 Like

makes dental care more effective and more fun for young children with a wind-up feature, 3-d brush and a measured toothpaste dispenser.

This channel does debunk videos as well,

I will say that I have done a little more than 50 Kickstarter and Indie GO GO campaigns. Out of those 1 flat up screwed up and wasted the funder’s money (I lost $25). It was a friend of a friend or I wouldn’t have done it. It was some sort of interesting bitters for cocktails. The small batch was supposedly good. But they didn’t factor in that chemistry can change at large volumes and so when they did the big batch it was terrible and all the money was wasted ($5k is i recall correctly)

I have one other that has gone past it’s date but could still deliver. It’s a wine related book. $50. No real technical hurdle. It’s the only other friend of friend I have done. lesson learned.

All the rest have delivered. I tend to do a fair amount of research and don’t just throw my money at something flashy. But you can never know so to some extent I have just been lucky.

Sometimes I follow campaigns I don’t think will deliver just to watch the updates. Like the Airing anti-snore device. It’s fun to watch the excuses fly by knowing I didn’t waste money there and if it is ever is successful I can then look for real world reviews.

3 Likes

My vibrating toothbrush has no batteries either. It does, however, have a rather large tube leading to an elaborate diesel-powered pneumatic system on the roof.

5 Likes

Ah, the Amish electric toothbrush.

I’m not sure about that. I mean, within reason, yeah – a low-quality badly-lit video of incoherent mumbling can be offputting – but the important thing is that the product is desirable and that you believe the team can make it. They could have said “this is a mockup with an electric motor inside”, and explained why they were confident they could make a wind-up version that would last for 3 minutes. We know they’re at an early stage in the process, or they wouldn’t be on Kickstarter.

Needy sex toys aren’t any more appealing than those without enough lasting power :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This is BB, can’t tell if joking or serious. :thinking:

7 Likes

I meant to say it doesn’t have a large tube. I hope that clears things up.

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

No, no it doesn’t, but thanks for trying! :laughing:

3 Likes

So it… does? This new age of fluid booleans confuses me.

2 Likes

I know. Humor is tough. That’s why I always say "To be brief, concise and to the point, to get your message across quickly, precisely and with an economy of words without undue delay or hesitation, that is the quintessential essence of wit. "

11 Likes

Dude, props to Captain Disillusion. He is funny, capable, and gives some great info on how FX are made.

2 Likes

Agreed. I actually need to go and watch more of his stuff. I thought I had subscribed to him but when I went to grab the link I wasn’t. Weekend goals activated!

2 Likes

I have one that operates via a normal-sized hand (crank).

2 Likes

True. But which is liklier to get funding, confidence you can solve it later, or implying you’ve solved it now? Not which is more honest; which works better?

And again, as you already said, maybe they never intended to make it from the start.

I’m just saying, what they did worked for them, and you can expect their success to inspire other elaborate con jobs.

He has a two part series on the effects in Back to the Future that is most informative!

1 Like

Basically, NO new technology should ever be trusted on Kickstarter. If it worked, if even their prototype worked reasonably, they wouldn’t use Kickstarter.

If you can’t convince a real investor in a room with you, it’s because it doesn’t work, not because you just need more people to believe in your dream.

Other things, sure. I’m currently wearing an excellent backpack made by a reputable company who decided to go the Kickstarter route. Or Kickstart your art installation. Tech? Fuggetaboutit.