There's something very odd about the video showing off "Be", a prototype battery-less motorized toothbrush

Why do I suspect that Elizabeth Holmes is on their board of advisors?

3 Likes

An investor is going to demand part control and/or ownership. Kickstarter lets the inventor/creator to keep control and full ownership.

Kickstarter is an excellent way to get funds up front before paying for manufacturing. It’s also a way to get funds up front before creating something if you are a creator with a proven track record of getting projects done.

It’s projects that are not complete (or worse, only exist in prototype or concept mock ups) by creators without a proven track record where buyers need to run away quickly.

3 Likes

Captain D deserves a MacArthur grant.

2 Likes

PMSL, the plant stands out like dog’s balls.

Cf. PT Barnum.

That’s why I generally only fund people I actually know. If the project doesn’t get funded, or never gets off the ground, well … it’s worth the $20-$50 to be a good friend. And so far everything I’ve funded has actually happened. I’m getting a cookbook of edible board games next month :smiley:

4 Likes

15 seconds under zero workload.

there is a reason we don’t already have these despite the technology existing since the mechanical revolution. they aren’t putting enough kinetic energy into the device, you put two easy twists in all you ever get out is less then two easy twists worth. that’s physics…

4 Likes

Thanks for the link. A friend just got a sous-vide thing as a gift from his co-workers, sent me a pic and was surprised I knew what it was.
Wrote that surprisingly the co-workers didn’t know what a magic wand was.

I just forwarded the link. I’ll guess it’s going to go on a slack channel, soon.

1 Like

Were you referring to the Hitachi sex toy massager?

Speaking of questionable oral hygiene tools, what ever happened to Blizzident?

Via Boing Boing (October 2013)

3 Likes

Be sent out an update (yes, I’m a backer).

To address the video in our last update, we just came back from 8 days of international travel and were already behind on uploading our monthly update, which we always look forward to, and have never missed.

In full transparency, we had a piece break on the prototype on the last day we were traveling, and we felt the pressure to make it work. No excuse.

We are a very small team of entrepreneurs, trying to bring an entirely new category to an industry, and we are naturally making mistakes along the way. In retrospect, we should have never published the video, and apologize from the depths of our hearts. We never meant it to mislead - rather to encourage that we are on our way to delivering something great.

Our new video of the now fixed prototype below :

We have a goal run time of 2 minutes and right now we are easily hitting the 1.5 minute mark. With production tooling and production parts, we will have a higher control of tolerances and surface finishes which combined with our DFM plan, will bring us up to the 2 minute mark without a problem.

1 Like

I’ve got a Thorens Riviera clockwork shaver, and would happily buy a clockwork version of the Phillips Sonicare @mister44 mentioned.

Thorens! Looks like a potato, shaves like a lumberjack!

2 Likes

I’m glossing that as a “No excuse” block immediately followed by an “Excuse” blob; finished with an “affective appeal” chunk.

3 Likes

Nailed it, Dr. Bowdler!

Well I suppose the more important bit (if you’re a backer) is that the product can, in fact, run for more than 15 seconds or whatever. So faked video sure, but you’re not backing a video.

I’m not a backer and won’t be giving them any money, but if you have given them money, then the update can at least reassure you that while you may have given it to asshats, they’re at least making progress on their product.

Because believe me, you very likely give money to asshats every day for the things you use. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.