These 19th century textile mill's "behavior blocks" were made to shame employees' "exceeding naughtiness"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/17/these-19th-century-textile-mills-behavior-blocks-were-made-to-shame-employees-exceeding-naughtiness.html

4 Likes

It’s still in use. Or rather variations thereof.
I see it frequently in K-12 settings.
I think at call centers, too.

6 Likes

The Human Resources Culture tends to maintain certain concepts long past their expiration dates. See also Myers-Briggs.

9 Likes

UNION STRONG!

9 Likes

I checked the source and it’s still really unclear to me whether this was referring to drinking at home (in which case, how would he know?) or drinking in the workplace. Seems like that’s a pretty important distinction.

Or was this one of those situations where the workers lived in company-owned housing and they weren’t entitled to any level of privacy at all?

4 Likes

So, did the Silent Monitor work? Owen thought so. Over time, he observed a gradual shift from black and blue to more whites and yellows, indicating better behavior — or so he believed.

Most of us would assume that, like any performance rating system that I have had experience with, people learned to “cook the books” over time.

5 Likes

Everyone lived on site in a community. There was privacy to some degree but a lot of self policing.

5 Likes

You forgot the /s.

1 Like

Owen was an interesting man- He cared about the welfare of his workers, but in a way that seems today to be profoundly controlling and paternalistic. He was a stand-out for his time, believing that it was possible to run a profitable business and treat his workforce far better than the other industrialists of the era.

He also thought that people were moulded by their environment and the conditions that surrounded them, which led to his drive to build a better town for his employees to live in, as well as this bit of crass behaviourism.

8 Likes

Ok, ok, I get it! But what were the other two sides painted? I have to know!

:wink:

1 Like

Twist ending: there were more than six sides!

4 Likes

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

2 Likes

I see a colored cube
And I want it painted black
No colors anymore
I want them to turn black

3 Likes

A tetrahedron, then?

4 Likes

From Robert Owen and His Social Philosophy, by William Lucas Sargant (1860):

@frauenfelder , your link doesn’t work.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.