These 50 pence coins are extremely metal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/23/these-50-pence-coins-are-extre.html

4 Likes

“Triskelion” is a very metal word in and of itself, though the Manx themselves might think less of your reference to the “Isle of Mann.”

13 Likes

Ish. In the Isle of Man context, sure. But the triskelion sigil itself is about 6000 years old. The leggy version dates back to at least 6th century BCE Greek culture.

7 Likes

Manx sounds like a brand of…never mind, I like living.

6 Likes

Twinned with Summerisle

2 Likes

I thought for a second that the Queen is now a symbol for metal for some weird reason …

2 Likes

Should be possible to overlay a mutton-chopped Lemmy over her head.

Crowley does not work.

3 Likes

All coins are metal, surely?

6 Likes

Reminds me of the Benny Hill bit where some laundry detergent was on sale, so you were supposed to tell your friends “Two pee off!”
(Hey, I thought it was funny.)

3 Likes

You gotta give ERII credit for letting them age her like that - another vainer monarch would still be requiring the mint to use the 1953 profile.

2 Likes

I like this idea of using Lemmys as currency, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter

4 Likes

My kitten, Trelane, is a Manx. He has no tail.

5 Likes

Another more orange monarch, perhaps?

But the portrait aging is tradition now, Queen Victoria’s coins had her get older too.

3 Likes

Except for the coal ones

photo21790

(my search for this image was giving me a load of links to Dunning-Krugerrands, which it wasn’t the last time I looked for coal coins)

9 Likes

And of course the big stone money.

9 Likes

You mean to tell me that giant stone money isn’t metal as fuck, c’mon now?

7 Likes

The symbol also looks a little bit like a Basil Wolverton character.

I think we can agree that there is no money that is heavier. :wink:

4 Likes

so what’s the story behind notgeld (beyond hyperinflation) Who, or what is TRVTZ?

1 Like

We’ve lowered our price by twenty cents.
It’s a paradigm shift.

2 Likes