These items can change your life and cost less than $100

Good point. That’s why I bought that one when my other one was stolen. Which was my own fault because I left my car unlocked.
The bonus was that they also stole a shitload of Cat6 cables and other crap that I had ripped out of a couple racks in a small data center co-location of ours and was going to have to dispose of anyway. Lemons into lemonade and all that… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh god, yes, the vet fees; 15 grand this year on a dog that didn’t make it, and 2-3 thousand on maintenance drugs for the elderly cats. And forget food, which is going up and up and up.

6 Likes

That’s why no one says kids cost less than $100 even though many couples are able to make one with things they already have at home.

9 Likes

And if not, remember its cheaper if you adopt them the old fashioned way. :wink:

1 Like

Good, dry, clean socks. And for that matter good quality underwear as well.

11 Likes

But is it really winter if you don’t fall on your ass?

I like the aluminum “Alox” ones, no worries about cracking the plastic.

Enough that you don’t have to do laundry for a month… that’s probably more than $100…

A really good ceramic knife and a plastic cutting board.

An electric knife sharpener… because the effort is so low you will actually use it regularly. (But not for your ceramic knife; if you treat that right you won’t have to sharpen it.)

2 Likes

And the Alox is pretty. But only the plastic handled ones have pens in them, sadly.

2 Likes

They are also not $100 but rather $50-100 dollars per month which amounts to considerably more.

3 Likes

That’s a good one. And for when you need them, of your socks, I highly recommend a couple pair from Darn Tough. If you wear them out, they will send you a code to get a new pair.
And I did wear out a pair I used extensively for hiking, and can confirm on the code.
For travel, to add to the conversation - a good roller bag that can be carried onboard and fit in any overhead. The one I recommend is over the 100 (Travelpro) but there are others under that are good, too. And one sturdy backpack, too.

5 Likes

One of life’s small, but not insignificant pleasures; clean, dry, warm socks on clean, dry, warm feet. I say this as someone who would regularly have dirty, wet, cold socks on dirty, wet, cold feet after a day digging on an archaeological site.

5 Likes

Comfortable good quality socks (and underwear) really do a lot to improve your day that it’s easy to not notice it, but lousy versions of them can easily ruin your day. I’m slowly trying to upgrade the invisible things in my life that can improve my quality of life, things like my toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner, work pants/slacks and shirts, etc. It’s not really feasible to upgrade everything in my life but on the things that i have done so i’ve really enjoyed the difference :slight_smile: Recently i splurged and spent a lot of money on a water bottle i thought i would like to keep at work in order to stop using disposable paper cups for water and every time i drink out of my bottle it brings me a lot of joy.

9 Likes

I’d add a nice essential oil. I’m not much into perfume or cologne, but I love having a bottle of grapefruit or orange essential oil, or sometimes tea tree or eucalyptus. But just a couple drops on your wrists in the morning gives a little boost and starts the day off with pep.

4 Likes

A Raspberry Pi 3 to connect to your stereo, and a copy of Moode Audio burned on to the SD card. Opens up a whole world of hundreds of commercial-free streaming audio stations. My favorite piece of roll-yer-own tech.

4 Likes

Essential oils can also be used for a lot of different things, i have used mine (lavender) in shampoo, added it to a wax warmer to refresh the scent, added it to laundry, etc.

2 Likes

Agreed. I actually have an entire drawer of smells (essential oils, not like a Dutch oven sitch). I use them in baths, to scent oils, conditioner, all kinds of stuff. In a lot of ways I feel like smell is our most neglected or abused sense, depending where you live.

More under $100 items I’d add would be:
Washcloths
A nice towel
Good slippers
Insoles with arch support!

4 Likes

Man, that looks a lot looks a lot like a portable water flosser …

1 Like

There are ones that cost much more than $100, but there are perfectly serviceable ones that cost under $100. A good size Dutch oven. Like 6 or 7.5 quarts. And then learn how to bake bread in it. It’s not even hard. But it’s useful for so much more. Being able to take a pot from stovetop to oven is more useful than you might think.

6 Likes

the three that i immediately thought of were already on the list: A rice cooker, a cast iron pan, and a crock pot. these three things enable you to cook so many good things, and if you are really diligent, you can get all three for under $100 total.

6 Likes

Yep…you really don’t want to get them mixed up

4 Likes

fc262973-09b5-4cfe-8576-6d11e97324d0_text

2 Likes