These items can change your life and cost less than $100

A second recommendation for Darn Tough socks. I dealt with blisters on a weeklong hike two years ago. My partner had DT socks, got no blisters. The next year’s weeklong hike, we both had DT socks and nary a blister between us.

6 Likes

As an ice hockey player, I say no. You should never fall on your ass unless someone else knocks you on your ass. That’s why you need crampons! So no random dumbasses on the street can knock you on your ass in an ice storm! Let them try, and let them fall. :smiling_imp: I paid less than $20 for my crampons, but they do all they’re intended to - keep you upright and walking on ice that isn’t fit for skating on. :wink:

5 Likes

Is that from a city run rescue center? $1700 sounds like something an independent outfir would charge.

1 Like

…esp when it’s stuff for cats w/sensitive tummies. Even the Purina stuff is ridic…and same with litter! I’m tempted to subscribe to the Detroit Free Press and shred it with scissors to make cat box filler.

5 Likes

Goldfish can live for decades if you take care of them properly. :frowning:

1 Like

You fall in love with them, and then they need health care. One vet visit is > $100, and our rescue dog needed visits substantially more frequently than annually.

Owning a dog is not cheap in 2023 America.

3 Likes

Neutrogena Rainbath, any flavor you choose, but orig sure smells lovely & non-gender-specific. Pear is also good. Safe for hypersensitive skin, a much-appreciated gift, creates heaps of persistent bath bubbles, non-drying, works as shampoo in a pinch (but it magically hides all the red in my hair, dammit all anyway), great for clothes that are hand-wash only, gets A/C units’ filters super clean and smelling great…it’s magnificent stuff.

Check ebay, amazon, and locally to find the best price. If already a fan, try the 32 or 40oz giant bottles. They last even longer’n you’d think.

4711 Cologne. The first ever cologne, from Cologne (Koln). Citrus-y, herb-y goodness for any gender. Perfect for hot flashes, aftershave, hot summer days n nights, stinky pits, moral support, spritzing on A/C etc filters, a welcome gift. Same re: sellers above. The huge 25 oz bottles last forever & can fill any sprayer you like. Their soap is almost a religious experience but ridic expensive.

A good actual, natural loofa or sisal strap of a length what easily scrubs yr back. Removing dead skin is a joy.

A really sharp outfit can lend a vast amount of moral support when one is depressed.

5 Likes

You can find a decent used metal detector (of the treasure hunting variety) for around that. Pulling something old out of the ground really changes your perspective on history, and it technically counts as exercise too!

4 Likes

You beat me to it! My favourite is the Compact, which is a similar price, It also has scissors, a nail file, a toothpick, corkscrew and jeweller’s screwdriver (to fix your glasses!). After I sort-of-graduated (with the wrong degree) I got a stop-gap job as handyman at an Observatory. A lot of the job was putting together or taking apart Remploy (government) furniture, and the Swiss Army Knife was used nearly every day.

1 Like

For people with facial hair they don’t want, an electric razor is a super easy way to stay clean shaven. It doesn’t scrape up your skin, and you can use it anywhere. No having to go into the bathroom, and find some gel etc.
If I didn’t have one I’d probably have a (really patchy) beard by now.

2 Likes

You are correct; the city animal control runs from $185-$215 and the humane society is $300-$450. These tend to be local owner surrenders (mostly young pitties, sadly), so they are not transporting them from other countries. The average for an independent rescue seems to be about $1000, with the highest that I’ve seen coming in at $1700. I recently did a trial adoption for $875, and they want you to have a lot of kit as well; specific types of leashes and collars, etc. which ran me another $150-ish.

2 Likes

My guys are getting Wellness, which is widely available at most pet food stores here, and it is $7 a day. Kitty litter is World’s Best, a corn based clumping litter which goes farther than most other types of litter. And is biodegradable, unlike the clay litters.

4 Likes

It’s a challenge to keep it under 100 but a good fitting pair of most-weather shoes. Also budget smartphones or cheap used laptop/tablet. If you have no phone or computer a cheap smartphone can be a big life upgrade and plans can be super cheap.

A good fan, respirator, or goggles… Depending on your line of work.

A comfy hat makes a big difference in hot climates too.

There’s a lot of big life improvements that can be found for under 100 actually.

Oh for me this was a little-big one (looking for a link that isn’t to a shopping site): Sally Hansen’s Miracle Gel Matte Top Coat Gave Me a Perfect At-Home Manicure - Review | Allure

Has made a huge difference with my weak nails. It’s suitable for people who don’t want to wear obvious nail polish but also works pretty well as a base coat with color on top. Just a great product I will be buying so long as they keep making it.

6 Likes

A good wool sweater. It doesn’t need to be cashmere or tagged with a designer label (in fact, it’s better when it’s not).

6 Likes

The TikTockers use the cute rescue pet as revenue generators. :man_shrugging:

(Not saying it’s right…just that’s what they do.)

1 Like

Or all-black kitties found on the street. :cry:

5 Likes

YES !!!

And in cold ones.
Possibly, but not necessarily, the same hat.
(People do not wear enough hats anyway. Hats. The gateway to happiness.)

5 Likes

Goldfish can live for decades if taken care of and aquarium shit ain’t cheap.

(I realize I’m just bolstering your point.)

2 Likes

A good pair of comfortable over-the-ear headphones for any noisy housework. Ideally a pair that still allows you to still wear safety glasses comfortably. Bluetooth-capable is a nice add.

2 Likes

Does anybody know how much a good barometer costs and whether it has any life-enhancing potential?

1 Like