These luxurious bed sheets are a steal at only $33

I wouldn’t buy hands off the internet, no. Many come with missing or extra fingers; sometimes you just get monkey’s paws, completely unsuitable.

5 Likes

Oooooo, where can I get me some o’ them monkey paws?

3 Likes

I don’t know, I’m not in the market for those. I get all my hands from local suppliers now.

3 Likes

And rinsed with children’s tears of course.

2 Likes

Seriously though, bamboo fiber sheets are nice and soft, but they don’t last very long compared to any of the other fibers in similar use.

I’ve bought bamboo-fiber sheets sight seen and regretted it - it seems quite nice, but the stuff just doesn’t last. It doesn’t have near the durability of cotton. I guess there’s a reason why, of the materials traditionally used for cloth, bamboo wasn’t one of them.

2 Likes

I’m just going to leave this here:

So you’re saying these sheets don’t contain real bamboo? Surely BoingBoing wouldn’t bamboo-bamboozle us??

5 Likes

Came to say the same thing. Most “bamboo” coth is bullshit - it’s just synthetic Rayon, not natural bamboo fiber.

Bamboo fiber wouldn’t be used for sheets, I’ve only rarely seen it used for something similar to burlap or monk’s cloth. What is called “bamboo” in the textile world is rayon, using the cellulose from bamboo as a feedstock rather than sawdust.

The process to create the fabric once the bamboo is broken down into cellulose is exactly the same. A small portion of expensive rayon is more “green” than others, with some companies using a closed cycle that generates no waste chemicals. Rayon isn’t considered synthetic or natural, but somewhere in between (same as acetate). It’s a product from nature (cellulose) processed into a textile.

That’s not to say sheets with rayon content aren’t fantastic! Rayon is cool to the touch and remains that way, and is frequently used as a replacement to silk, the fiber it most resembles. I love it, and work with it often. It isnt very durable, but sheets don’t get much wear. My concern with rayon in sheets would be with the need for a gentle, cold wash, and no bleach - rayon cannot be bleached, the bleach breaks down the fibers.

TL;DR - You’re much better off buying expensive long-staple cotton sheets, yarn dyed and not printed. Mostly ignore thread count - it doesn’t actually tell you much other than the density of the fabric, which is misleading - higher TC sheets sleep hot. Smaller diameter threads aren’t necessarily higher quality.

6 Likes

This didn’t answer the important question, which is can we vape with them?

2 Likes

More importantly, can you vape with them?

1 Like

Well, I’ve bought super expensive ones sight-unseen from the internet and been very happy. But those were linen, and linen sheets are amaaaaazing.

2 Likes

If you do a little searching, you can find these same sheet sets for under $20 with free shipping.

Surely not, given how concerned they were that our pies might not contain genuine Jack-o-Lanterns!

1 Like

I made a linen duvet cover and 4 shams for a client once and could barely part with them, they were so fantastic. Cost her over $500 material and labor.

2 Likes

Canned pumpkin is not genuine unless each pumpkin is artisanally hand carved into a non- culturally appropriative Jack-o-Lantern before being canned. I expect no less attention to detail in my bamboo sheets! I want photos of Sally Field and my adopted bamboo, and letters from them, before they are hand processed into sheets. :smirk:

5 Likes

Totally agree. They’re super soft (mix between flannel and satin), but wear out quickly. You can get them on sale at any Bed, Bath & Beyond.

2 Likes

Selling a fitted king sized sheet without specifying the pocket depth? Stupid.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.