These Millennium Falcon ice cubes will melt your Star Wars fanboy heart

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/10/these-millennium-falcon-ice-cu.html

I don’t see any cubes.

6 Likes

Not sure I see any ice, either. The “ice” in the picture is awfully clear, and appears to be sitting on the bottom of the glass, which if it were actual ice - i.e. less dense than water - would be unlikely. And since they usually use acrylic “ice cubes” for staging pictures of drinks…

1 Like

I like my Death Star ice molds, which are also (obviously) not cubes. I would think these would melt far faster. They should make some Borg molds, which wouldn’t make the pedants twitch.

6 Likes

But whiskey and other common alcohols are slightly less dense than water, and you also have the portion of the ice sticking above the liquid to help weigh it down. So perfectly within the laws of physics, though it does seem likely this photo just used a fake ice cube cast out of epoxy or some other clear material.

3 Likes

As a staged photograph, it’s unlikely to be alcohol and more likely to be colored water that it’s sitting in. Either way, if it were actually ice, there would be some buoyancy, which even if it didn’t cause it to float, would at least tip it over as weight and buoyancy found a balancing point. Instead this looks like it’s sitting in the glass like a lead weight. Those nice sharp unmelted surface details are a bit of a giveaway, too.

1 Like

Don’t you mean “That’s no cube”?

7 Likes

5 Likes

I’ve got those moulds. I use them to make chocolates.

3 Likes

The Han Solo in Carbonite ones are far more practical. Not for ice.
But for Chocolate or Jello Shooter “gummie”

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71BV2jVjahL.SL1419.jpg

3 Likes

If you make ice with them do the details look as good as in the photo?

I used to regularly freeze a Lego man in my mum’s freezer back home.

Am I doing this right?

3 Likes

Ice cubes would be appropriate for the Borg’s vessel; wrong sci-fi ‘universe’ though.

Got there before me. Drats. :sunglasses:

1 Like

My problem with these (and all silicone molds for ice) is that the silicone inevitably adopts that “freezer burnt” smell and imparts it into the ice. Probably not an issue if you’re going to remove these as soon as frozen, but still unwelcome.

4 Likes

Same problem (and perhaps more so because of the intense heat) applies to silicone egg corals (for egg mcmuffin-shaped cooked eggs, for those unfamiliar with egg corals). Fire and Ice. Not good.

2 Likes

I’m sure that someone has invented a Baby Yoda drink by now.

1 Like

yup - is good

It’s a bit of a struggle getting the little fella through the lemon squeezer but the final mix is worth the effort.

6 Likes

Try using a zester first.

3 Likes

Stirred, not shaken.

(NEVER shake Baby Yoda.)

3 Likes