These photos of a pandemic drive-thru strip club are pure cyberpunk dystopia

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/11/these-photos-of-a-pandemic-dri.html

3 Likes

I wonder if it would make things more or less hygienic if they adapted this service into an erotic car wash.

6 Likes

I mean… the internet still works. These people should stay home?

8 Likes

Hey, support small businesses!

17 Likes

If this keeps the rednecks from Vancouver distracted so they don’t come down here in full militia chic tactical gear to protest the closure, I’m okay with it.

10 Likes

Strip clubs that serve food are such a strange idea to me. I remember seeing all these billboards for strip clubs down south that said “GREAT FOOD”, as if that’s the real draw. “I came for the delicious brunch, but I stayed for the boobies!”

Or maybe serving food to a bunch of guys who are already salivating is a good idea.

2 Likes

22 Likes

8 Likes

This is an amazing way to keep these folks employed. If we were out that way my partner and I would absolutely patronize this for dinner. Hopefully their food is good, too!

12 Likes

Er, why do they give them toilet paper? Or do I not want to know?

1 Like

I expect it was launched when tp scarcity was common…

1 Like

Just because the establishment has entertainment, doesn’t mean that the food is going to be sub-par. I suppose it depends on the location, but generally they still need to adhere to public health standards for food handling. I imagine word would get out pretty fast if they had issues in that regard. There would also be incentive to provide good food to draw in additional and repeat clientele, as opposed to just giving existing clientele another reason to be there.

Speaking in probably too general of terms, Portland has a more accepting social outlook on strip bars. When I lived there it was very normal for a group of us (mix of genders and sexual preferences) to go to a strip bar to hang out, cheer the performers, have some drinks and food, talk and laugh. I had the most fun going with groups that were mostly women.

In that context it makes more sense that strip bars in Portland need to provide more than just boobs to be a place people want to go hang out together.

I’ve been to strip bars in other cities that were exactly like the stereotype dark places, nothing but dudes, weird energy, bad food, overpriced drinks. Not for me.

5 Likes

William Gibson right now…

4 Likes

Masked naked girl, it remembers me a manga (and an anime and a live actio movie)…

4 Likes

It might be a blue law thing. Like you can’t operate a “gentleman’s club”, but you are allowed to operate a restaurant where the servers happen to be nude. Blue laws create all sorts of weird regional variations on strip clubs.

6 Likes

Welcome to 2020. Where strippers are the non-controversial part of that meme, but buffets are banned.

6 Likes

You mean he’d be saying nah thats not cyberpunk. Cyberpunk died in 1982.

1 Like

Boston proper only has 2 strip clubs, and they are both across the street from each other (and down the alley from my freshman college dorm). One of them does, in fact, have a free lunch buffet that one of my friends lived off of for a good year after we graduated. I met him for lunch once, and I gotta say: those wings were pretty damn good.

4 Likes

Pretty similar to parts of a Halloween burlesque show I went to in Chicago a decade ago, now it’s just everyday ordinary life in pandemic-land.

Incidentally, that show also introduced me to this masterpiece of music:

3 Likes