They could have stopped making rock videos after Peter Gabriel's 'Sledgehammer'

I think so too, but in the event it was Christopher fareekin’ Walken! He’s the prototypical Jeff Goldblum, after all.

2 Likes

I dunno… I think they are very different phenomenon, if you ask me… Goldblum play his own music, for one…

6 Likes

IMO, Peter Gabriel has always been someone who does a bunch of experiment things for arts sake. His first CD I bought was US and in side for each song by the lyrics was an artwork meant to partner with it. I remember too he had collateral media for the Mindblender tour including a traveling virtual ride where you are “in” the video for Kiss That Frog (which had mid 90s CGI).

7 Likes

Yeah, that goes way on back to his Genesis days, too. That’s part of what I like about his work so much, it’s not just about the songs or selling units, he certainly wanted to bring some artistic sensibility to pop (he wasn’t the only one, but he was one of the people who were interested in that).

10 Likes
3 Likes

I remember getting into bizarre arguments with an old roommate who insisted that the lyric there was “there’s amusement in the rinse,” because water poured on his head in the video.

Anyhow yes! It’s still one of the best videos ever made. Aardman and the Brothers Quay (!)

Still a favorite CD of mine. That whole period was full of fascinating experiments in interactive art from his studio, such as EVE…

5 Likes

The only problem with OK Go videos is that I’m so into the video, I can’t pay attention to the music. I have to listen to it separately.

1 Like

Do you even 4k bro?

1 Like

The Quay Brothers and Aardman Animations did all the stop-motion stuff!

2 Likes

You’re welcome and/or I’m sorry.

EDIT: From the same directors:

(I’d also put “Cry” but I can’t find the original video)

6 Likes

Chris Cunningham music videos playlist:

You’re welcome.

2 Likes

A rebuttal, if you will… … /s

Actor Bill Paxton, a filmmaker at the time, directed and appeared in the music video for the song, along with cinematographer Rocky Schenck and Robert Haimer’s girlfriend at the time, Joan Farber, who designed the costume look. The video aired on NBC television on Saturday Night Live , on December 6, 1980 and the following week. Dr. Demento had a cameo as the bum.

7 Likes

This is as close as I could find for Cry

1 Like

It looks like part of it’s in there, but the rest has still photos edited in.

1 Like

It seems so weird that the full video isn’t on YT. I hadn’t thought of that video in years, but it was pretty groundbreaking when it came out - absolutely in the same way that Sledgehammer was ground breaking.

1 Like

Not the highest quality, but how old is this video again?

3 Likes

I could’ve sworn that it was… But there it is :arrow_up:, on Vimeo…

It would’ve been 1984 or '85.

Another in the “what the hell did I just watch?!” (in a good way) category:

And speaking of P.G., “Shock the Monkey” is up there, too:

Not as weird, but it involved Devo members:

6 Likes

I was momentarily certain this must be

• a cop show, like Miami Vice, except also

• a musical, wherein

• all the dialogue is scatted, in gibberish

Michel Gondry, doing a Memento/Eternal Sunshine style recurring-loop narrative.

7 Likes

I’d say Dog Police is the pinnacle of music videos.

6 Likes