They could have stopped making rock videos after Peter Gabriel's 'Sledgehammer'

In order:

2 Likes

Thinking of…ahem…interesting videos…

But then there were bands whose producers who could go the extra mile in a simple stage presentation.

6 Likes

Holy shit!!! I love MC 900 Ft Jesus :heart_eyes:

He was one of my fave local musicians in DFW back in the day.

3 Likes

My favorite video of his. Perhaps anyone’s.

2 Likes

Alright, here’s my crazy.

4 Likes

Super low budget/tech, but I’ve always thought this was outstanding:

11 Likes

A dancing chicken animated by Nick Park, aka the creator of Wallace and Grommit. Aardman films did a good bit of the animation for the “Sledgehammer” video.

6 Likes

Damn you! And the rest of you, too! I had planned on doing some serious office clean-up tonight…

3 Likes

I looked through my Youtube history to find videos - it seems I watched Toni Basil’s “Hey Mickey” more than anything else but I shan’t force that on you.

6 Likes

i came here to find some critical discussion on the adavancement of art in the field of music video but found a competition of who’s the best. maybe the end of the music video as pop is nigh.

It seems you already have, but no matter. Toni Basil?

3 Likes

They could have stopped really only started properly making rock videos after Peter Gabriel’s ‘Sledgehammer’

2 Likes

Isn’t that what I said? :wink:

There’s over 70 responses, with many videos. I have not worked my way through them all yet.
“Great minds…” though, eh?

4 Likes

You’re so fine…

1 Like

All these videos and no Chris Cunningham…

And if we are going great retro style I love me some Gunship.

Ok, so everyone’s seen it, and it is a bit obvious, but if we are talking great music videos, I’m a a bit surprised no mention of this yet. It certainly broke some new ground and IS a great example of the art form, for all that we are all familiar with it (aren’t we?)

And kudos to @jlw for finding a topic that was not only guaranteed clickbait/catnip but which also let the community share a load of stuff - I’ve come across one or two real gems here that I’d probably have missed otherwise.

ETA now I think about it some more … I’m not going to be the one to post any OK GO videos, but let’s be honest, some of them are very impressive feats of choreography / set-up, and make compelling viewing.
Oops @Dioptase1 - sorry you did beat me to it - this thread is too dense! :wink:

9 Likes

Nice reminder - these guys were as quietly ahead of their time as Peter Gabriel.

1 Like

Bachelorette is one of my all time favourite videos, but all of Gondry’s are great. The 2 he did for the Chemical Brothers, Let forever be and Star Guitar, are stunning.

5 Likes

TH’s “Nothing but Flowers” is also a great video I only discovered recently

1 Like