Thieves are using fake 'Windows 11' installers to infect folks looking to upgrade from 10

Originally published at: Thieves are using fake 'Windows 11' installers to infect folks looking to upgrade from 10 | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Windows 10, the operating system I play games on, has been nagging at get me to upgrade to Windows 11 for a while, but if it ain’t broke — why fix it?

Indeed, I am surprised to learn that people are looking to upgrade at all. Win11 is mostly the same guts as Win10, but the UI changes and inevitable compatibility issues, it needs a couple years before it’s going to be a smooth upgrade.

The OSX type UI is not even the UI stuff that really bothers me (you can change it back to the old taskbar easily enough), it’s the little things. You no longer get a clock on every display, you can’t right-click the taskbar to get to task manager. You can no longer in explorer start typing a file name to find a specific file, it just takes you to the start of files starting with that letter.

7 Likes

200-7

6 Likes

At the risk of doing the vegan thing, Linux gaming is getting better every day! You might not get the exact games you want, but there are many thousands of great options.

7 Likes

The changes for developers / power users are nice: WSL2 and the new terminal. Most of the changes I got used to pretty quickly. I’d already been using ctrl-shift-esc to get to the task manager for a while.

I do hate the clock thing, though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.