Things got creepy in a New York courtroom when someone released hundreds of cockroaches

Originally published at: Things got creepy in a New York courtroom when someone released hundreds of cockroaches | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Ballsy. Can you imagine how hard it must have been to have to collect them all?

5 Likes

You can order them online. Kind of expensive.

I feel bad for the little critters. I took Intro Entomology in college. Got to see those guys up close. I thought they were gross, but kinda cute. But if I saw one in my kitchen I would probably not be kind to it.

11 Likes

Maybe they got a bulk discount.

2 Likes

Ew! Reminds me of this incident:

8 Likes

You only need two, to make your own. How to Breed Hissing Cockroaches: 11 Steps (with Pictures)
The fumigation is kind of unnecessary, don’t think theycan establish themselves that far North.

3 Likes

Much grosser. Madagascar hissing roaches are big and scary (can grow to the size of a Drake’s Yodel) but are not particularly harmful.

A while ago one of my cats got a flea infestation. It spread to the carpets. I still remember getting the bites and crawling sensation (some of it imagined).

Such enthusiastic fumigation!

9 Likes

8 Likes

Were Penn and Teller going to be called as witnesses?

2 Likes

This is my new favorite standard of measurement.

7 Likes

I wonder which part of the human anatomy could, sizewise, be compared to Funny Bones.

2 Likes

8 Likes

I had to google “Drake’s Yodel”. Thought it might be like a “Russell’s Teapot”

3 Likes

I was thinking it was a reference to a Canadian rapper releasing a country album. Or a sex thing. But I assume most any combination of a possessive proper noun and a regular noun are sex things. You would not believe what I thought was going on when I first heard of Chekhov’s gun.

ETA: I had to Google both Drake’s Yodel and Funny Bones and I am a little jealous we don’t have Funny Bones around here that I’m aware of. They sound quite tasty.

4 Likes

Since I don’t do cakes, this was a mystery to me. However it reminded me of a Northern Irish measurement of distance “within a bagel’s gowl”. It’s nothing to do with to toroidal bread - it properly translates to “a beagle’s Howl”. It’s similar to “a stone’s throw”.

6 Likes

I’ve known a few beagles and am not talented at throwing things. I’d argue the beagle’s howl is at least a half dozen stone throws.

3 Likes

Only if you’re throwing stones with a trebuchet. A properly motivated beagle can howl loudly enough to be heard for a mile or so, depending on conditions.

4 Likes

But Drake’s Yodels are silent

(I have been holding off on pictures because I thought it would make for a gross association with Hissing Cockroaches)

4 Likes

Well, I’m not quite drooling, but my interest has been piqued. They may be silent, but they’re certainly speaking to me. Or perhaps it’s just the low blood sugar; either way, really.

3 Likes

I mean, that’s a given. What, am I gonna use my arms like a schmuck?

6 Likes