Things I miss: my Evel Knievel stunt cycle

Wow! It’s a good thing I didn’t know about that when I was a kid or it would probably now be another addition to the pile of Toys I Really Really Wanted But Never Got, right on top of the Big Trak.

2 Likes

According to the comics, some of them are “human” aliens, some are alien aliens, some are robots, and some are cyborgs. I thought the main guy was an Earth human that got shrunk down into the Microverse but the Marvel wikia disagrees. The comics didn’t track too closely to the toys though.

3 Likes

In any case, it leads to another question, which is why some of them didn’t wear skivvies or trousers. I guess it’s a big universe (including the microverse) so anything’s possible.

3 Likes

I received this one for Christmas one year.
It was truly a miracle my parents had the money to burn spend on something this frivolous, so the “adult me” is glad I put some milage on it.

9 Likes

We weren’t allowed to even touch the box in the store on that one. Treasure your memory, sir.

5 Likes

Tonight I got out the transformers I packed away nearly thirty (30? Dear lord, thirty) years ago and introduced my seven year old son to them.

He only broke two so far.

9 Likes

That sound of the gyro spinning up is forever etched in to my soul.

1 Like

Shit or get off the pot everyone.

3 Likes

I preferred the Super Dave Osborn stunt cycle, which bursts into flames as soon as you start the engine.

8 Likes

Evel Knievel stunt cycle is the answer to the question,
“Why is daddy lying in the gutter with his arm down the storm drain?”

6 Likes

Our neighborhood had a solution to that. My head could fit through the storm drain.

4 Likes

oh man, Evel stunt cycle was DA BOMB when I was 7. Got mine for Christmas that year. It was great fun until the following spring when my older 14yo cousin convinced me it would be awesome to see Evel jump down our VERY VERY LONG stairs to the lake (steep and over 100 steps) which seemed obvious after he said it. Why hadn’t I thought of that?! And the initial jump and landing WAS AWESOME! But after the first bounce, the stunt cycle exploded into a gajillion pieces. I cried for a days. I came terms years later when I realized that it was a pretty awesome way for Evel to go out.

7 Likes

No kidding on that - my buddies and I were always setting up ramps for our bikes (which were Schwinn Sting-Rays or close clones). I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Evel Knievel could be credited for jumpstarting BMX. Naturally, though, real BMX bikes didn’t start appearing until I was old enough for a ten-speed.

Bike helmets? No such thing, back then.

4 Likes

That’s not a good idea…

6 Likes

OMG. Totally forgot about those. And when I saw it it immediately made me think of a big aircraft carrier that rubber-band-launched little foam airplanes - that I had also forgotten about.

1 Like

This was my jam. I could do this for hours.

1 Like

Yup. Ditto. Micronauts were the sh%t… action figure play value, plus LEGO-like buildability, plus dozens of shoot-you-in-the-eyeball little projectiles.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Heartbreaking. All ruined by my 7-years-younger brother.

1 Like

On the plus side there are plenty of newer cheapo knock offs of this at christmas time these days.