Things Millennials Are Killing

My girlfriend is where that stuff goes to. We have insane amounts of crockery, and I’m constantly trying to stop her getting more. Gal loves plates.

2 Likes

Am I the only one that understands that most of the things on this list have simply fallen out of favor or lost relevance in general?

I think it has nothing to do with millenials and everything to do with public opinion and practical use.

3 Likes

I visit my bank to take out cash, since there are no fees at their ATM. I like cash for most transactions, especially eating out. It’s faster, and I am exposed to less cc fraud.

I also visit my bank to get stuff like notary or other documents related to taxes and stuff like that. I can do some of it online, but sometimes it’s just easier to talk to a human and get the job done, since the bank is right near my house. Notary is free to account holders.

Oh, and yeah - my bank’s phone app has photo deposit of paper checks, so I haven’t deposited a check in person in over 5 years. Maybe 7?

On the contrary, I prefer to do my banking with a live teller. I’d really rather not carry around an easily lost/stolen device that has access to my bank account, and the sorry security situation in the Android world (oops, no security updates for you, because we’ve moved on to the next Latest and Greatest Thing) makes me even less enthusiastic about doing my banking on a smartphone.

Sure, there’s iOS, but that has its own excitingly sucky issues (not to mention that “affordable” and “iPhone” are mutually exclusive).

1 Like

OK, you gonna pay the international shipping, then? Mind, the other sets aren’t going to be dumped on me for probably a decade and two decades from now, respectively.

My bank app uses fingerprint recognition and my PW is unique to that bank account, and very long and twisted. I really doubt it’s a security risk, unless someone has a gun pointed at me and tells me to use my finger to get in. At that point, I’d likely comply, because they don’t know about ALL of my accounts. Heheh

1 Like

I know right? Breasturants and Designer Handbags? Seriously sooo 1980’s!

3 Likes

Oh right, I forgot about that. Next time I get a check, i need to check that out. Still won’t help with ones in American funds, but you can’t have everything.

Can you tell how seldom I deal with checks at all? I think we get maybe one or two per year.

That’s the rub. All these panicky articles blaming Millennials for something is all bullshit.

8 Likes

Both of these are definitely US vs Canada things:

• Canada has largely been cashless for some time thanks to our banking sector being much more regulated and reliable than the US (there are only five main banks across the country) and their dedicated bank-card network connected directly to bank accounts (though US-style visa/mc “debit” cards are becoming more common). This has led to many folks never using cash and being used to contactless transactions, millennials especially.

• Canada also has almost no need for a Notary system anymore, especially now that you can get a passport without one. Mortgages are probably one of the last vestiges of that system, but of course, Millennials are buying fewer homes anyway.

In my experience, that “talk to a human” process often leads to miscommunication or assurances given verbally that don’t lead to anything (“I’ll be sure to have this done today” only to not see it happen), and so instead I normally gravitate towards options where I can do everything online. Banks here have noticed this and you can finally even sign up for accounts without having to visit in person, as well as apply for mortgages (though I wager in the latter case this probably doesn’t happen very often).

3 Likes

The few times i visit a bank is to deposit cash. Even if the bank is closed they’re the only locations that have the type of ATM that allows for cash deposits. This is something i rarely need to do but it comes come up on occasion. Also if i was opening or closing an account that’s something that i typically like to do in person.

1 Like

Which is why I don’t bank or deal with money on my phone, only via a web browser on my desktop.

Guitar solos.

2 Likes

It’s a rite of passage; X-ers were blamed for all manner of societal ills back in our emergence into adulthood.

3 Likes

Interesting. I’m sure different banks have different reliability, esp as you say there are glaring differences between Canada and USA. My bank has been totally reliable; people don’t put me off or screw up my order or anything like that. I’m sure it happens every day, just not to me. Mortgage stuff was not handled by the bank. Two or three other entities. All we needed the bank for was a cashier’s check for the down payment. Could have handled that differently, even with an EFT, but decided to use paper to make the transaction at closing happen faster so we could get the keys to the door on the spot instead of waiting for the EFT to clear.

I sound like a bank fanboy. I’m not. If my bank closed, I’d just go find another one or a credit union to serve the need. They are like gas stations. If you don’t like one, find a different one because there are a million of them.

Still relevant 2014 conversation on banking trends. Start at 11:00. End 14.50.

So, why blame millennials now?

Dating and Marriage. I hear that one a lot.

2 Likes

Oh, we have a plentiful supply of old lady plates already. I reckon she’s part magpie.

3 Likes

I’m single and something i’ve noticed on some apps is the high number of people seeking partners in open relationships within a marriage or dating situation. I don’t know if it’s just something to do with the area that i live in (Austin, TX) or just something that has become more normal than before. No judgement from me, just an observation.

1 Like

Millennials are killing sex! Killing sex? Say it ain’t so!

Maybe Austin is an island.

2 Likes