Things that make you happy

There is nothing to happy but happiness itself.

Sometimes I feel happy, and when I do, I enjoy it. But also I try to not cherry-pick some emotional states over others, which some tell me is weird.

I try to keep my emotions detached from external stimuli. So I like experiencing many things, but how much I do/don’t like them has little bearing upon whether or not I feel happy about it.

3 Likes

New Run the Jewels:

8 Likes

I very much appreciate the efforts to bring happiness to the top, so to speak. All respects to the statement of @popobawa4u, habit is something. I feel myself going through the stages of grief, but also see it as a catharsis and a calling. My happiness is that I don’t know what good I will do, but so long as my will persists to seek love I might yet do some.

Music and dance make me more happy than any other thing I can think of. Transformative, transportative, present futuristic performance of real transcendence, a dancer embodies being. Any dancer of any skill level can convey this joy. Music drives this innate revolution against authoritarianism. This is my truth and freedom and my power to wish you find yours even if i don’t like it.

It would also make me happy if you would take the time to listen to the words of Alonzo King and witness the power of the Lines Ballet.

11 Likes

A new episode of El Diabolik has dropped for 152 minutes of wonderful psychotronic music.

4 Likes

That’s a good seminar. Turns out HDDs are insanely tough to thoroughly destroy.

4 Likes

Chicken chicken chicken: chicken chicken:

8 Likes

Thank you for this thread. This piece doesn’t make me “happy,” but I turned to it to help just, turn off for awhile? I can’t be thinking about impending doom ALL the time.

14 Likes

If this doesn’t make you smile you have no soul.

5 Likes

[quote=“milliefink, post:68, topic:89085”]
This piece doesn’t make me “happy,” [/quote]

Me neither, but it’s totally worth it. It’s one of those pieces I find really difficult to listen to. Bypasses the brain, stabs me right in the feels and I’m no good for anything for a good while after.

Thanks for posting it. It’s been too long since I heard it.

4 Likes

If you are in (dare)need for a ‘zoning out’, which can make a person happy indeed, just being in the mind somewhere else, try this:

Maybe reed this first to know if it’s your thing.

5 Likes

I have not been as pleased with his previous or subsequent videos (including the one that isn’t out yet, but I was one of the funders so I’ve seen it), but this one seems to hit the sweet spot for me:

8 Likes

He’s dead to me since he changed his name to “where the heck”.

But yes, that one (the first one with other people?) is always great.

4 Likes

No, not the first one with other people (there were some in 2006), but there are some first-and-only details: in the Indian segment, he actually dances WITH them for a few beats, and you can see the orchestra playing in the Alhambra California section (they’re actually playing the music of the video in that shot).

He fought changing the title for years, until he had a son. Then, magically, he understood why so many people were telling him to use “heck” instead!!

4 Likes

Attending a close friend’s wedding makes me deliriously, tearfully happy.

13 Likes

They really are amazing performers live. Everyone should go see them at least once. A guaranteed fun night.

7 Likes

I took a road trip to visit my folks, siblings, nieces, and had a great time. That made me happy.

While I was there, my folks and I went to a bonsai nursery where we purchased some containers. The little old man and his assistant were really nice, and made a permanent customer of my father.

I’ve had most of my trees in the wrong sort of pots for a few years, because they were all I could find where I am. The new ones mean I get to repot into proper bonsai containers! I’m going to make a little grove of maples, kind of like my father’s little grove of elms.

I’m sure it will make me happy to repot my trees. I’ve been growing bonsai for 5 years, and feel like I am still such a novice. But, it’s the sort of thing that is life-long or even generational. The owner of the bonsai nursery had some that his father started in the 60s. They were pretty amazing.

I read about it and ask questions, but I learn by doing. By the end of my life I hope to have some really impressive specimens to pass down.

11 Likes

Lovely, always been one of my favorites.

4 Likes

I’ve seen them I think 4 times … Once in NYC, once in Philly, once at a bookstore as they were promoting a new release, and a kid’s show on Long Island. They have 3 kids albums.

Here’s one video

8 Likes

I can count on one hand the bands I have happily gone to see multiple times. The only band I have seen more often than TMBG is Brave Combo mostly cause they toured more. And I have seen them when they still toured with the tape machine for the backing band. I am old.

8 Likes

While he’s not a “thing,” Richard Ayouade always makes me happy:

17 Likes