Things That Really "Grind My Gears..."

I didn’t know you came down my street recently! :wink:

I call it “pothole slalom”: driving in such a way as to miss all the really bad ones, which can mean going over lane lines at times.

7 Likes

It seems like it’s every other street in my city.

#>_<

5 Likes

People using the phrase ‘at a high rate of speed’ when they clearly mean ‘at high speed’.

12 Likes

People who leave shopping carts is the few parking spots left.

People who have to, must, by any means possible, drive as fast as they can to a red light.

11 Likes

Right now, I have the opposite problem.

Roads where there are more lumps of snow and ice than actual bare patches of road.

4 Likes

I don’t get the driving as fast as possible to a red light at all. It’s a common phenomenon so someone must be able to explain it to us. I have reached the red light many times and no invisible spirit hands out candy or offers any rewards. The way I see it, the sooner a vehicle reaches the red light, the longer the vehicle has to wait. Is that good for the car’s longevity and condition? (ETA: Why are drivers so eager to wait as long as they can at a red light yet dodge in and out of lanes, or when they’re without their cars, look for the shortest check-out line in a store? Isn’t waiting while standing just as rewarding as waiting at a red light?)

In my city’s downtown, vehicles frequently dash through a light about to turn red so they can wait at a red light one block farther. I have not figured out how this is a great timesaver. If a red-light camera records their violation it sure isn’t a moneysaver.

Would a driver enlighten me please?

9 Likes

Well, “a high rate of position” just sounds silly.

3 Likes

People who camp out in the first row of the supermarket parking lot waiting for an open space, even though there are open spaces further back in the lot.

Whenever someone does that to me and I’m parked in the first row, I stay parked and eat a sandwich. Not even joking.

11 Likes

Some smart-aleck police officer: “At approximately 12:17pm, the driver, headed northbound, struck the concrete meridian at a high rate of displacement.”

The reporter: “To clarify, do you mean the driver or the vehicle operated by the driver?”

Police officer: “Both, though with much different vectors for each.”

7 Likes

I once got in an altercation in a parking lot for doing just that, sitting eating a sandwich (best gyro anywhere, in Astoria Queens) while listening to the radio. Suddenly there’s an asshole next to my car screaming at me that since I didn’t hear him ask if I was leaving I was going to stay since he parked me in!

On topic: People who don’t know what to do at multiway stop signs. How did they get their driver’s licence? They will sit and let car after car through, or follow the car ahead of them through not even stopping at the sign, anything but an orderly taking turns by who got there 1st.

3 Likes

People who are too nice when they drive. They let every jaywalker take their sweet time crossing in front of them, always give the other person the right of way, and drive a good 5mph under the limit at all times.

3 Likes

This actually slows down traffic, since when everyone takes their right of way it’s all predictable and smooth. Just fucking go when it’s your turn!

4 Likes

Yeah, I thought people were schmucks for it when I was looking after my own deathly ill relative, but I never hold it against them. :slight_smile:

What grinds my gears is people meddling to give me some sort of unsolicited “advice” that basically is trying to get me to do whatever it is they’re doing that clearly isn’t actually working for them, but they seem to be the last ones to know. I’m too direct by nature to be able to just smile and thank them graciously (I try to do some reasonable facsimile of this response, but apparently, I have some unimpressed stare that sort of just gives my feelings away even before I open my mouth).

2 Likes

Oh no, not at all; which is totally why you’re commenting about it now.

You don’t say…

7 Likes

Well, it happened. What am I supposed to do? Not mention it? It’s not like I am mentioning names out in public, or even remember what people were griping about – I just remember thinking, “Damn, I wish that was my problem right now…” :frowning:

1 Like

4 Likes

No, not quite like that. I have no props like wine, smokes – or helmet hair…but it looks like fun!

2 Likes

5 Likes

What’s wrong with the red delicious?

As for what grinds my gears?

Christian hymnals. They sound overly ‘LOOK AT ME’ and have no soul, or maybe it’s just the singer. Or maybe it’s me.

Electronics that break when you sneeze too hard at them with no good repair path.

Any TV movie whatever that reenforced either ‘oh god you are special the rest of the world is useless’ or ‘you are useless life is pain humans are shit be prepared to be ground into the dirt. Deal with it.’

You might have the friendliest dog in the world but please put it in a pen or lead. Your dog will cause my dog to run off to parts unknown and I live too close to a busy road to not be pissed off by this even if for some reason she doesn’t decide to get in a scrap to establish pecking order.

2 Likes

Apparently, they have haters who utterly despise them.

While ‘Red D’ is not my favorite type of apple, I just don’t get all the animosity; but different strokes for different folks.

9 Likes