Things That Really "Grind My Gears..."

I’m not a big fan of being proselytized, in other words, induced to switch my diet to one that’s unbalanced (e.g. requiring supplementation). I could understand it if my health was at risk, if the way I eat now raised my blood sugar, ballooned my waist circumference, made me insulin resistant and sluggish, clogged my arteries, hiked up my triglycerides, especially if it were my doctor lecturing me.

But someone who sees I’m height-weight proportionate, who can tell by my hair and skin I am healthy, who launches into her “-ism” and recitation of nutrition myths easily countered by a load of recent research available on PubMed, when it’s not solicited, and when she has no nutritional or medical background, should maybe be quiet.

“Here, Jemmie Duffs, you’ll do yourself a favour if you eat the same way your super-fit and active brother with hypertension ate for six months and then died three months later.”

19 Likes

Some people really need to learn how to mind their own business.

SMH

12 Likes

When there’s a lamp plugged into a switched outlet, and someone turns it off at the lamp.

6 Likes

Me, when I’m writing a comment online, and I skip an entire word; but I don’t notice until after I’ve hit ‘submit.’

I hate that.

14 Likes

Me, when I don’t catch all of my myriad typos until I reread my comment hours later to remember what someone is replying to, and then my grammat OCD earns me one of those little edit pens.

11 Likes

Welcome my world. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

To fair I added the “to” automatically so didn’t notice missing.

6 Likes

Fucking Google and their fucking amp links. They make sharing links much more painful, they typically break inline search because of how they virtualize content, they mess up formatting, there’s no good way to view the source page, and basically offer no real benefit to me with a modern smartphone with a decent browser.

Worst of all there’s no way to stop Google from presenting them in search results. So, fuck Google and fuck amp.

ETA looks like I’m not the only one here.

9 Likes

Yeah. I switched my phone to search via DDG to get rid of those fucking things. I like the idea of low data usage, but not at the cost of breaking sharing.

4 Likes

I’m seriously considering doing this. How is DDG in comparison for search relevance?

2 Likes

I don’t actually like DDG’s results much, so I typically stick !g in the search terms and get the google results but without the AMP crap.

9 Likes

17 Likes

I also love it how every website you’ll visit once in your life wants you to get their app

12 Likes

And if you download the app they never stop pestering you for ratings.

It’s just inconceivable to me how Windows inbox apps like Calculator ask me to rate them.

11 Likes

Said 2+2=3 0*.

5 Likes

Blame the way the App Stores are set up for that, not the developers.

3 Likes

Wix ads in front of really in-depth HTML/CSS videos. Please stop. “You need a website…” Please, please, stop.

7 Likes

I had a labial frenectomy today - lower lip, nothing major.

I had it done at the dentist, so I planned it the way I usually plan my dental appointments - get it done in the morning, then come into work.

What I did not plan for is that, as the anesthetic wears off, I am beginning to learn that this stings like crazy. not, like, crying in pain, but probably above my threshold for thinking deeply about code bugs

fuck fuck fuckety fuck. this stings

14 Likes

And the way those loading ads make everything constantly shift around on Android, trying to navigate is like trying to stab a rolling marble with a toothpick.

7 Likes

Roads where there seems to be more potholes than actual ‘road.’

7 Likes