Things That Really "Grind My Gears..."

Why are there no gala’s on that… er… thingie?

3 Likes

Maybe he ate them all? :yum:

3 Likes

They are tasty fuckin’ apples… Especially with some slightly warmed peanut butter, freshly ground, of course.

6 Likes

Possibly our finest contribution to world cuisine: apples & peanut butter!

6 Likes

It’s always infuriating watching the flatlanders trying to turn them around when they occasion up into the mountains on vacation or hunting for Christmas trees. The instant the tires are off pavement they seem to panic.

7 Likes

While we’re complaining about drivers.

Fucking high beams. I don’t know if it’s something about the Seattle area but every night I get blinded multiple times by some inattentive fucknugget driving around with their high beams on. It’s infuriating and dangerous.

Then there’s the other oblivious chucklenuts that drive at night without their headlights on at all. The Seattle area is notorious for having piss poor street lighting (likely for reasons of preventing light pollution) so I don’t understand how people can not know that they are doing this. Again, infuriating and dangerous.

13 Likes

Well, not exactly.

I’m still complaining about other people.

Like obtuse individuals that cannot seem to wrap their heads around the idea that for most people, their words and actions have real life consequences and repercussions that could have a negative impact on their lives.

9 Likes

Or the “pavement is bullet-gray, the sky is bullet-gray, my car is bullet-gray, why should I have my headlights on? Visiblity: what’s in it for me?” driver, also common to Seattle and prevalent from November through March.

13 Likes

I give the benefit of the doubt, I generally see them turn their high beams down whenever they got a friendly flip of mine.

4 Likes

Last week (on a genuinely foggy, rainy day) I was driving with my fog lights on, and some civic-minded driver in the opposing lane flashed their brights at me. If I were younger, I’d have flashed my brights back, just to say, “Yeah, those aren’t my brights and they’re specifically aimed away from your eyes, so ease off, Tex.” 'Cause fog lights are slightly less convenient to dim than brights are.

But these days my path of least resistance is to ignore Mister Flasher and just keep on keepin’ on.

10 Likes

Sounds like Seattle from November to March to me

3 Likes

Not to mention high beams are just a horrible idea in the fog anyway. You’re more likely to simply blind yourself than to help with illumination of the road (which is what fog lights are supposed to do contrary to what dipshits that aim them upwards think).

11 Likes

Along with making headlights automatically responsive to the brightness of the environment, I think high beams should be made automatic. Not so much the turning on part, but the turning off part.

Okay, if I’m in the fast lane, then flash your lights a couple times to tell me to get over. That’s not a problem. But I was once going exactly the speed limit in the slowest lane (actually a lane that started as an on-ramp from the previous intersection, and ended at the next exit, where I was exiting), and a guy started tailgating me, flagged his brights off and on for about five seconds, and then turned them on full blast to try to get me to speed up. I set my cruise control and put my rearview mirror in night-driving mode until he found an opening in the next lane and passed me.

So yeah, high beams should be a privilege, and you should only be able to flash them a limited number of times if you’re in blinding range.

8 Likes

This was a dealer-installed option for my 1962 Buick Skylark. They had the “Twilight Sentinel” which would automatically turn on your headlights at dusk (or whenever it got dark enough to warrant them), and another little dingus that would automatically dip your brights when it sensed oncoming headlights. My mom’s '86 Taurus had those features, too. Don’t know why they never got all that popular. Reliability issues?

3 Likes

Christ, what an asshole. If I’m in the passing lane I’ll give a quick flash of the highs (European driving taught me). If they ignore or do not understand I’ll hang back until it’s safe to pass on the right. As far as high beams, as soon as you can see the headlights of an approaching cart they go off

Oh, yeah; when I have to use one very day when I’m up north, not using indicators on rotaries/roundabouts really grind my gears.

6 Likes

[quote=“nimelennar, post:234, topic:89689, full:true”]
Along with making headlights automatically responsive to the brightness of the environment, I think high beams should be made automatic. Not so much the turning on part, but the turning off part.[/quote]
In my Spider, where I’m sitting practically on the asphalt, even low oncoming beams are too bright.

Years ago there was talk of polarizing headlamps one direction, then polarizing windshields orthogonally. I’m really sorry that never happened.

me to speed up. I set my cruise control and put my rearview mirror in night-driving mode until he found an opening in the next lane and passed me.

If I’m feeling harassed I’ll rotate my side mirrors so that their light is shined right back at their face.

1 Like

ME thermo also should clearly state that engineering thermodynamics are for estimation purposes, and all my more advanced classes after thermo got rid of the closed system stuff. My senior project was building several vertical axis wind turbine generators and comparing the model to reality, so it at least went somewhere.

Static loads on solids is much drier coursework in my opinion.

1 Like

Statics. AKA, “the shit don’t move, end of story”. I was an EE, so I took the combined Statics and Dynamics course for EEs.

2 Likes

I went ME/EE with dreams of working on green energy (even had internships for fuel cells), so I got the full version of both. Thanks to an administrator fucking up I wasted my time and money taking the ME version of Circuits 1/2 which was at least incredibly easy.

3 Likes

What you learn in Statics, the sum of all forces in any direction is zero, the sum of all moments about any point is zero and you can’t push with a string.

7 Likes