Things That Really "Grind My Gears..."

Yeah; I know those feels.

Although I have to admit that I’m a lot better about starving them now than I used to be.

9 Likes

I think we’re all slowly recovering from the election and all of its consequences.

Edit: Not recovering from the consequences that are yet to come, just the events that brought them.

8 Likes

Very likely.

4 Likes

I still feel twitches to reply to some of them but it is has gotten way easier to say NOPE to responding and we have other BBS members who are much better at tearing them new orifices.

9 Likes

Surely they have better things to do as well :wink:

4 Likes

[quote=“chgoliz, post:166, topic:89689”]
U-Pick apples is a thing in this area of the country. Once you’ve picked 12 different varieties from various trees in an orchard and tried them all, the so-called “Delicious” apples just don’t stack up.[/quote]

We used to pick our apples at an orchard outside of Madison. Red Delicious. They were delicious. And red.

6 Likes

But… but I’ve already weighed in on all three. I won’t have anything new to contribute. :disappointed_relieved:

Oh, well… just to make sure you all remember:

1. Apples: yes, please. Just not in the form of applesauce or pies or really anything cooked. I just like apples. Including (and sometimes especially) Red Delicious. Good specimens (which are not rare in my area) are juicy, sweet, firm, crisp, refreshing, and delicious. Woody/mealy/dry/flavorless ones are simply bad specimens and you need to select more wisely or shop elsewhere. I have eaten superior apples on occasion… but never so much superior that I ever felt remotely tempted to disparage the Red D.

2. Ketchup: yes, please. On hot dogs and hamburgers and french fries and tater tots and even on a very expensive steak and I don’t care whose eyebrows lift at that. Ketchup and spaghetti sauce are really the only solid justifications for the existence of the tomato. Okay, semisolid.

3. Anise: hell, no. Thank you, no. Nope. Uh-uh. Get that stank shit away. Go tar a roof with it. Go feed it to someone who remembers the Depression fondly. Repel cats with it. Add it to ipecac so the kids don’t accidentally drink it. Pour it down drains to kill the oversized mutant cockroaches in the sewers. Drop it into that North Korean volcano to trolley Kim Jong Un, if you don’t mind precipitating a humanitarian crisis. Just don’t pretend it’s palatable.

Bleccchhh.

4 Likes

Common ground, at last!

6 Likes

I knew we could get there!

Hugs to my Liz!!!

7 Likes

Agreed, on 1, 2, and 3!

4 Likes

As a trained professional, I am always available for safe disposal of all anise-related alcohol. Very reasonable rates, too.

15 Likes

When people don’t accept that you did the thermodynamic calculations for why their favorite environmental kickstart thing won’t reduce energy costs and carbon output by bajillions of whatever. Seriously folks, you can’t handwave math.

16 Likes

Thermo was probably my least favorite subject in school. If you want to do it so I don’t have to, who am I to discourage you?

6 Likes

Goodness, yes. I drive a WRX that has a pretty hard suspension and I see these people in SUVs and luxobarges slowing to a near stop for the slightest bump or dip in the road and wonder WTF is wrong with them.

Good thing we’re on different continents or we’d start a price war that’d drive us straight into cirrhosis.

6 Likes

Thermo is fun! Then you can learn the connections to classical mechanics and even quantum mechanics :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thermo for which major? I had thermo for mechanical engineers. We didn’t learn quantum mechanics stuff, just classical mechanics.

4 Likes

Quantum thermo and quantum statistical mechanics are usually studied as part of graduate level quantum mechanics, but some schools have them as a separate course. I took thermodynamics as part of the undergraduate physics core classes, so it wasn’t a separate class for me. I think that’s still how most schools do it. I doubt I’d enjoy an ME geared thermo class. I much prefer learning the math and theory to solving complex engineering problems, though my undergrad physics classes did emphasize problems, which in retrospect was a good thing, if a bit drag for me who was always impatient to move on and learn something new.

3 Likes

ME thermo was all about nozzles and closed systems, etc. Basically how pressure, temperature, and energy all relate within this mythical totally closed system. I’m sure the MEs loved it, er, liked it… . er, tolerated it because it was a core class

5 Likes

A little late to the party, but I see that none of you apple philistines have mentioned the world’s best eating apple …

GOLD RUSH

3 Likes