Things That Really "Grind My Gears..."

Complete tangent, but…

To me, “helmet hair” is what your head looks like after you’ve been wearing a helmet all day. Which, for me, is just about every day.

5 Likes

I think that was an intentional attempt to feign missing the obvious snark inherent in that gif.

But to address your tangent, that’s just one of those weird colloquialisms that varies according to gender.

For many women, ‘helmet hair’ often refers to the excessive amount of hair product required to maintain certain hairstyles.

Ie, if you were to touch a woman’s beehive or bouffant, it would be stiff and hard as a helmet from all the hairspray/mousse/gel.

For many men, helmet hair is more like what you described:

5 Likes

Lord, I wish my helmet hair looked that good. Kinda wish my regular hair looked that good, come to think of it. This fellow here is a better representation of what mine does:

And yeah, it kind of grinds my gears. Skull cap fixes it when it’s cold enough to wear one.

5 Likes

‘Hat head’ is another annoying phenom that comes from wearing winter hats when it’s cold:

7 Likes

I just fix that by getting a very short haircut.

8 Likes

Really long hair can work, too. But nothing in between.

9 Likes

Spot ON !

(reaching for rake / err: comb)

2 Likes

I thought they meant “fast.”

5 Likes

There’s a special hell for zeros for Os

4 Likes

Banks that act like they’re doing you a huge favor holding your money and giving you no interest. I just had the intense satisfaction of telling CapOne that has jerked me around with repeated screwups that I will be taking the banking for my business, and its significant operating balance, elsewhere.

6 Likes

Situation: Self arrives early at library, looks for small table in Quiet Area (designated by library), finds along windowed wall, six unoccupied small tables. Takes one. Thirty minutes later, someone sits right behind me, three other unoccupied tables not adjacent to me ignored, smelling of beer and stale cigarette smoke, unpacks his things, and puts his mobile phone on speaker so I can hear his voice mail, then starts making calls.

This happens now nearly every library visit, at branches in city, county, next county over. It’s the equivalent of being pregnant and finding a seat in a cinema far away from everyone, and some stubby-legged chump sits immediately behind me, instead of all the other seats vacant and farther away, and kicks my back with his spastic limb.

Why? What is it about ‘Quiet Area’ signs posted in libraries that makes some men think ‘Y’know, I’ll just MAKE MY PHONE CALLS ALOUD here’, or about a woman sitting alone at a small table, when other tables are available, that make them think ‘I better sit close to her so she can enjoy my aroma’?

16 Likes

Another thing, maybe I posted something similar:

“You, the car ahead of me, are at the crosswalk in the intersection, signaling right, and I’m honking at you because you’re not moving. A large truck in the lane to our immediate left obscures my view of pedestrians crossing from left to right, it’s a red light for us both, but I’m honking at you because YOU’RE the blind poky bitch who can’t recognize my impatience ALWAYS TRUMPS OTHER PEOPLE’S SAFETY, goddammit!”

Why can’t those people spontaneously combust somewhere where they don’t cause me traffic inconveniences?

11 Likes

11 Likes

I wanna find a rootworker/everyday magic/conjure site that has protection spells for this sort of thing. You know that Venn Diagram doesn’t resonate with everyone, otherwise we’d all be leaving each other alone.

To the tune of “Close To You” (The Carpenters)

"Why do men suddenly appear
Stinking of smokes and beer
Next to me, it seems to be
Mystery

Why do they make their calls aloud
Is it that they are proud
To have a phone, won’t be alone
Next to me

On the day that I was born
The demons got together
And decided to piss on all my living days!
So they cast me among entitled schmucks who don’t give fucks about courtesy!"

13 Likes

I know; that’s just how it feels some days.

4 Likes

Had to factory reset the phone to resolve some other gear grinding issues. Sure the backup has all the data and some of my app preferences, but icons are over six screens, passwords have to be remembered, Bluetooth to be repaired.

FEH!

7 Likes

My morning’s eggs:

Break two eggs okay fine. Put butter in cast iron skillet okay fine. Have heat setting to low.
Ten minutes later, eggs still runny blob. Okay fine, turn up heat to low-med.
Come back a few minutes later, egg scrapey stuff on the skillet, brown crusty uggh.
Debate eating eggs, go for it as they’re done and still a source of protein and fat.
Eggs are crunchy because shell bits which may’ve set my breakfast to a poor start in the skillet.

Next time soft-boiled, baked or poached

6 Likes

Those are always my preferred eggs:

• Get 'em so that the whites are fully solid but the yolks are as liquid as possible.
  • Toast and butter slices of bread, then cut into strips.
  • Take the top off the egg, and dip the strips of toast into the yolk.
  • Repeat until yolk is gone
  • Scoop out the white with a spoon and eat it.

If there is another way to eat soft-boiled eggs, I don’t want to know, because that is just perfection.

6 Likes

A month and a week.

My victory…

has once again gone to gear grinding. Chrome inexplicably no longer plays you tube videos.

Feh.

3 Likes

Cooking for myself for a long, long time, and I do not know how to get thawed sole fillets frying in my skillet to turn over without them breaking.

ETA: Okay, now I do. I apparently collect the cooking fat(s) with a spoon and spoon over the fish, therefore leaving out the flipover motion.

6 Likes