Things That Really "Grind My Gears..."

Fry them on parchment paper?

4 Likes

It’s pissing down rain (with lots of road spray), foggy, or snowing or some other low visibility situation. Turn your* frigging lights on, people. Not just the automatic daytime runners for the front, but actually turn them on so that your taillights turn on too. That little red glow may be the only chance to spot you until right almost (so far it’s been almost) too late.

Oh, and two-foot drivers who end up resting their foot on the break juuust enough that the brakelights come on all the frigging time. If you need to have your left (right for all the right-hand drive) foot involved, learn to drive standard and you’ll learn quick enough to save it for the clutch.
(Aside from my annoyance, two-foot driving is just damned dangerous).

*General “you”, not any particular person… unless you do these things.

7 Likes

Oh, and incorrect use of the clutch grinds gears as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

People using my tools without proper care.
Score this weekend:
a) found my good garden scissor (only for roses and other fine pruning) way back in the yard, rusted. Trying to revive it with wd40 but it will never be the same.
b) You know when you quick need someting and want to grab it and find out you need to clean it first? Straight edge tool. …Argh…

11 Likes

Another option is a trick used with Chinese-style dumplings or pierogis: after the frying, add a SMALL amount of water and cover for a couple of minutes. You can then serve as is (flip over for presentation) or add a little more oil and flip over for a minute or two to get browned on the other side.

8 Likes

My family thought I was unreasonable for flipping because of the dozen hammers in my workshop they took my grandfather’s metalworking planishing hammer to pound things on the sidewalk.

6 Likes

Csb:

I love driving manuals. Because I am a nerd, when I lived in Arizona with a 16 mile each way commute I challenged myself to make the round trip without touching the breaks once. During rush hour.

I succeeded two times. That was the absolute Pinnacle of my game. (Yes, I ebraked to park)

8 Likes

This is the only method I use now (unless just tossing frozen potstickers into soup) because it is so easy. Just use a good non-stick pan (I prefer ceramic) because the some starch dissolves into the water and then when the water is absorbed or evaporates, will try to create a thin layer of adhesive in the pan.

5 Likes

Overcooked pasta.

8 Likes

Hitting those toddlers and that nun totally worth it.

5 Likes

Given the data set [good, bad, good, good], this analysis of the data:
% Good : 0.75
% Bad : 0.25

Guess why this grinds my gears

3 Likes

I’m guessing you’re working for the government or a bank, if they’re that blatantly ignoring 99% of something.

2 Likes

Nope, all data is accounted for and displayed (badly)

1 Like

I know.

1 Like

whoops, sorry, I may have missed the humor on first reading

1 Like

Working in cubicles, because of the people who stand there fucking hovering outside them while they chit chat.

I don’t mind the chatter but I loathe people hovering over me as I’m sitting at a desk; even if it’s just by proxy.

10 Likes

My new 3rd party phone case, which if I am not careful how I hold it, will trigger the magnetic sensor that makes it think the cover of the official 1st party folio case is closed–and then shows the notifications screen meant to shine through the window of the folio case.

Of course the notification screen isn’t touch-sensitive. Took me weeks of shaking the phone and tapping on the screen to figure out what was going on.

6 Likes

My “cubicle” is really just kind of a stall with one side open, and I only have the lame half-height walls. I have my monitors on risers and I can block out most of the random movement of people in my sight line, if they’re far enough away, but sometimes people come to talk to the guy on the other side, or they just stand in the walkway to chat, so that they’re right in front of me. It. Is. So. Distracting.

I do mind the chatter, but that’s why I wear earphones :wink:

9 Likes

I used to have an entire mail/copy room to myself; I miss that autonomy.

Of course there was no wall on one end of the mini-suite, so I often had people taking a short-cut through my workspace, but that was still better than the infernal hovering.

I also keep my headphones on for most of the duration of the day, so maybe that’s why the chatter doesn’t bother me.

And yes, these cubicles are the cursed half-wall type.

#>_<

6 Likes

Something women may be unaware of, but it is quite common for men to urinate into a toilet bowl standing up.

There are good reasons for this, for example when all the urinals are in use.

There is no excuse for not lifting the seat and urinating on it. None. Fuck it drives me nuts when I see this. Shitty, lazy people.

8 Likes