Things That Really "Grind My Gears..."

6 Likes

We have 4’6" cube walls in the cubical areas.

For whatever reason, the Height Adjustable Desks have come into vogue.

But then you have people standing at their workstations, peering down at their neighbors.

So now a bunch of 2 foot extensions have popped up on several cubes.

4 Likes

You know meatwalling, where the only place you need to be is the only place where people are gathering and chit chatting, and they have no reason to be there? This is like that, but different.

Like, when some dude is walking by and pulls out his phone and checks his texts right next to my table in the café and nowhere else, and he has no real reason for stopping there. He’s just stopping there, standing and hovering, while I’m trying to enjoy my coffee.

The cubicle hovering chit chat is a lot like that.

I’ve worked in a place like that. This guy came by to talk to the guy in the next cube about weekend plans, and how he was planning on painting a shed or some shit like that. I put my headphones in, put on a podcast, and got shit done. Then, an hour later, the podcast was over, and I took my headphones out. I was still working, and this guy was still talking about his damn shed.

That’s corporate America for you. And we say poor people are lazy :confused:

I’m wearing my headphones right now, but I had to turn the volume all the way up because it’s four-o-clock monkey brain time, and everyone is chit chatting. The guy across from me has an insanely loud voice too. I swear to Christ I’m going to blow my eardrums out.

I have a height adjustable desk, but I prefer not to use it, for many reasons. My cube walls are 5’6" but that’s like shoulder height for me, and I’m peering down at my neighbors over the walls. Also, work standing up? Fuck that noise. I’m going to work in my chair, slouched down, and leaning back. I work out after work, I don’t need to stand while working, nor do I really consider that exercise or anything productive.

4 Likes

I know you’re being sarcastic, but women do that hovering thing in shared/public bathrooms and the effect is much the same. If you just can’t bear to sit your dainty ass down, okay, but you are not then entitled to be too squeamish to wipe up your own pee!

8 Likes

Webforms that won’t accept the data you submit and don’t tell you up front how to put it in.

Two separate websites today. Both, US-centric websites. In fact, they already had my address so they know I’m in the US. Then I have to put in my phone number.

406-994-3556 (Not my current number)

Hit submit and it complains. At least one of the two websites pointed out NUMBERS ONLY.

But for Cthulhu’s sake, WebDude, would it be that hard to sanitize my input and drop the dashes?

Or maybe I got Fancy and typed in (406)994-3556. Just drop anything non-numeric.

THERE’S an idea…just make the input field Numbers Only (I think I had a jacket of their’s about the same time that I had that telephone number)

But, no.

Make me hit the damn submit button a second time after I fix my perfectly cromulent phone number entry.

Jerks.

11 Likes

I don’t understand why this still happens. The programming involved is trivial, a 7th grader could code it in 15 minutes in FOCAL.

5 Likes

Same with date formatting. And eliminating any accidental blank space when you paste a password.

2 Likes

Dates are actually tricky if entered freeform. They can be ambiguous. 10/5/10? Is that October 5, 2010, or 10th of May, 2010, or perhaps one of those dates in 1910? The entry should be constrained, ideally to YYYY-MM-DD to prevent any ambiguity (other than timezone and daylight savings time, which can suddenly switch a date to the previous or next day if some part of the system treats it as a datetime instead of just a date :confounded:).

2 Likes

Of course you’re right, it’s just annoying, especially as they usually don’t give an example of the form that they prefer. Even when there’s three separate fields half the time it screws with you. SS fields too.

2 Likes

I don’t know what FOCAL is, but check this out:

print ''.join([x for x in string if x >= '0' and x <= '9'])

One line of Python code. Only allows numeric characters 0-9 (ASCII 48 through 57). If you don’t care about the result being in string format and can settle for a character array, the ''.join(...) is unnecessary, so you get:

[x for x in string if x >= '0' and x <= '9']

Which makes sense in plain English.

4 Likes

Indeed. The ones I’ve showed up wearing my plaid bellbottoms did not start, or end, particularly well.

6 Likes

[quote=“LearnedCoward, post:352, topic:89689”]
[x for x in string if x >= ‘0’ and x <= ‘9’][/quote]

?03.28

2 Likes

I think “entered freeform” means standing up in a hammock.

4 Likes

What is ?03.28

Robo-calls of any kind.

People who…
…damage your parked vehicle and don’t leave a note.
…walk their dogs on your lawn/property and don’t pick up after them.
…borrow your tools/DVDs/CDs but don’t return them.

4 Likes

[quote=“LearnedCoward, post:356, topic:89689, full:true”]
What is ?03.28[/quote]
It is the error message you get if you input

[x for x in string if x >= ‘0’ and x <= ‘9’]

on a machine running FOCAL.

I have no clue what FOCAL is.

Wikipedia says it’s something before even my time. Like, even before most flavors of BASIC.

If you try to use Python commands as FOCAL commands or vice versa, you’re gonna have a bad time.

1 Like

Not quite a ‘Fuck Today’ level gripe, but…

When you have spent most of a day, a couple of weeks back, neatly sorting and filing all of your paperwork so that it’s not scattered across every surface… And the tax man sends you a letter saying, “Hey, you know how you pulled money out of your retirement fund to pay for your house? You have to dig up the paperwork on that immediately, or we’re going to assess tax on all of that money.”

It’s not so much that they’re asking me to prove something that bugs me. That’s why I keep all of this stuff; that’s why I keep it organized (although it still took me an hour to track down one of the things they were looking for). The gear-grinding is from them not asking before I had slain all of the stacks of paper scattered around my house. Not that that would have made things any easier to find, but then, at least, I could have cleaned it up in one fell swoop, rather than having to sort and put all of this stuff away again.

2 Likes

Whippersnapper.

1 Like

Remember the movie Office Space and that really annoying receptionist with the chirpy, high pitched voice repeating the exact same spiel, over and over again?

Well I have one of the those sitting ten feet away from me, except that the voice is male and a deep baritone; but the repetitiveness is the same and it’s just as freakin’ annoying.

Thank heaven for earbuds…

6 Likes