Things That Really "Grind My Gears..."

That’s 95% of coffee I drink. :smiley: Instant coffee, milk, two sugars, leave out the wankery, thanks. :coffee:

6 Likes

“Wankery.”

*lolz

7 Likes

How you work in hysterics, I’ll never know.

22 Likes

It’s a thankless job, but somebody’s got to do it.

20 Likes

You could always move to jeopardy if you’re fed up with working in hysterics. Dunno what the commute would be like, but there’s loads of jobs there, so I hear.

12 Likes

Obligs:

15 Likes

If it’s cooled down with cream, much less of a burn!

15 Likes

Another thing that grinds my gears, price tags in stores reading “.x9 cents”. Maybe this hints at Aspie, but I keep wondering if i have to buy 100 of them so i can get change. I understand laziness, I understand “x9 cents” is fewer characters, “.x9” has even fewer, and which I would immediately parse as dollar representation, so I could buy one and get change, but adding one character to add ambiguity does not make sense to me at all.

Another common needless addition of character is “loose” vs. “lose.”

“How can I loose weight?”
“Cut it free from its tether or anchor.”

What definition of “lose” do people imagine that they have to put in an extra ‘o’ to think they’ve used the antonym of "find’?

13 Likes

Also a pet peeve of mine.

11 Likes

Coworkers who ask for something once, you tell them “ok – I’ll try to do this side-thing for you by the end of the week” then when you don’t get back to them (because we’re all busy and forgetful) they just escalate it to their manager saying “Lamaranagram didn’t get back to me so I can’t get this done on time”. Thanks, jackass. Also, run on sentences.

11 Likes

A roose by any other name…

10 Likes

Have any of you seen the latest Starbucks commercials that look like they’re recorded on a phone camera? IN VERTICAL FORMAT?

My gears, they are grinding.

6 Likes

They are the secret marinade ingredient when making bulgogi. When I say “secret” I mean mostly because many stores have no idea what they are.

My old AppleTalk file server is called Sikkimensis. I don’t know how they taste, but they look neat.

2 Likes

No, why is an interrogative word. It is not a pineapple.

3 Likes

Depends how you use the pineapple.

4 Likes

Ugh, no; but that sounds painful to watch.

I avoid watching anything on actual tv if I can help it; I loathe pretty much all commercials with a passion now.

8 Likes

I luckily escape many commercials, but this morning I did look at ten kooky 1960s commercials, made back when they were a minute long, and they seem like amusing ancient treasures (Warning: at least one is horribly sexist.)

Linking instead of embedding, in case some people here are as easily amused as I am, and taking seriously your hatred of all commercials.

5 Likes

You know what really chaps my hide? People who say, “chaps my hide.”

3 Likes

Oh that’s nice of you, but not actually necessary.

Looking back nostalgically is cool; I just hate today’s commercial’s because they are such a prime example of the Dumbening in action.

Whereas marketing ads used to be catchy or clever, now they are just mind numbingly stupid, and half the time you can’t even tell what product they are hawking.

2 Likes

Well, you can’t very well hide it in your chaps.

8 Likes