Things That Really "Grind My Gears..."

Those were from my prime viewing years (I was a latchkey kid in Jr High), and I recognized all but three within a few seconds of the start. (All but the Oil Board, Bactine, and Rambler ads.) What a waste of long-term brain storage! There were at least two more Colt 45 ads in the same series, I loved those as a kid.

When I was in 7th or 8th grade we went on a school trip to the Art Institute, and when we got to the room with American Gothic in it all of us spontaneously started humming the Country Cornflakes jingle. Variants of that commercial ran for at least 10 years. I wonder if Woody Guthrie (or his estate) got any residuals.

2 Likes

Ditto. Don’t have cable or an antenna. I just stream whatever. As for commercials, they can have my mute button when they pry it from my cold dead index finger.

3 Likes

Right on.

“Take your ad and shove it; I ain’t shoppin’ there no more.”

3 Likes

I was watching some funny shit on the MST3K channel on Pluto and BAM! Starbucks commercials. That’s what I get for watching free content, I guess.

5 Likes

Piracy has its privileges.

:wink:

10 Likes

18 Likes

Woah versus whoa.

Verse versus versus.

That is all. For now.

7 Likes

.09 cents is literally less than a tenth of a cent. What the fuck? How do people not know this?

Add “grocer’s quotes” and grocer’s apostrophe’s to the list. As in: try the tomatoe’s. They’re “fresh”. First off, the tomatoe’s what is fresh? Second, tomatoe is not a word, Mr Vice President. Third, why the scare quotes around fresh? What is it really if it isn’t fresh?

9 Likes

Today’s XKCD suggests to me that Randall Munroe may be reading this thread.

10 Likes

Passing-lane campers, people who literally go into hysterics or concerned-face mode to tell you that you have a headlight out (I had a dude chase my car on foot for six blocks to breathlessly tell me this), people who tell you up front that they ‘are gonna tip you hella!’ (they will invariably give you a $20 bill for a $19.75 tab and tell you to keep it), and men who think it’s appropriate to talk about women like worthless fuck-objects to me in my cab because it’s ‘just us dudes’.

10 Likes

It’s like the early part of Flowers For Algernon where Charlie Gordon learns punctuation.

9 Likes

While that would be flattering, maybe it’s just a simple case of GMTA.

Either that, or lots of people feel way more passionate about apples than I would have ever imagined.

6 Likes

He’s reading them years in advance.

17 Likes

Getting added to the email list of some nonprofit I’ve never heard about, never contributed to, and is 1000 miles away from me. Some entity must have sold or traded my name and email address (NextDoor.com? DonorsChoose?), which limits the suspects, but still.

Other things that bug me, because I’m old and should know better:

• failing at seven rephrased searches of “Seattle coffee with NO wi-fi” I am not a newbie. I know how to use quotes and + with keywords to improve my returned search results. I still get “Best Coffee places with wi-fi for freelancers” and results of that ilk, the exact opposite of what I want, for pages and pages. What do I want? a no-wifi zone where I can station myself at either a counter or a table for one and write letters while I sip a damn fine cup of joe.
  • letter-writing pads/tablets/sets. I write letters because I am old and it is fun. I can find, if I know what paper/stationery manufacturer names to use, letter-writing sets and tablets on Amazon. If I search “letter writing sets”, “letter-writing tablets”, “letter-writing pads” without a brand name, I get results for legal pads, columnar pads, reams of printer paper on Target.com and even Amazon if I don’t use brand names for paper.
    [ETA:] * when trilby-and-neckbeard contributors to Lifehacker or other (ex-)Gawker properties lift graphics with misspellings and other errors from websites instead of going to the original website with the original graphics with proper spellings, and get nasty at me when I point out that its art direction partners “went in a different direction”, when three other accounts point out the error in snarkier ways and get ignored by the offender because they don’t have a female avatar. The big sin apparently to Mr. Trilby-with-Neckbeard, when one publishes content, is to have the artwork proofread and corrected before publishing? He could have used Stanford Institute of Design, the originator of the content!!
15 Likes

It can also happen if a friend or acquaintance’s email account gets hacked; if your contact info is listed, that’s how they find you.

7 Likes

Always knew I liked that guy! /Red Delicious are an abomination

(Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if he were a regular lurker.)

11 Likes

Easiest just to move to Toronto: The top 10 coffee shops without WiFi in Toronto

7 Likes

Love how my relatives can’t be arsed to email me condolences when my brother dies, but keep me in their contacts so I can get their dumbass virus spam. There’s a word women my age and over in Canada use to describe folks like them, but I can’t use it here…

8 Likes

If someone’d kindly show @TobinL what Toronto-area job sites to post his resume at, I can get there that much faster. Although the last time I was in Hogtown, I went looking for a Seattleite’s idea of “real coffee” and found only those coffee shops with Hazelnut and Irish Cream flavoured coffee pots sitting on hot plates for hours… by TTC Subway I sat down and wept… I tell you what… those coffee shops are not the things that grind my beans…

8 Likes

Software Vendors. Especially vendors who hock software meant to be installed in Enterprise environments that doesn’t play well with automated software distribution.

What the hell?

No, our users do not have admin rights to install software.
No the majority of our sites don’t have techs that could go and do this.
And even if they did, do you think I’d expect them to install it properly each time?

I understand that MSI installers are getting to be “old school”. Just let me slap a /Q after your Setup.exe and I’ll handle all the fiddly bits after the install.

If you make me repackage your crappy software that you charge too much for in the first place, you will never get a recommendation from me.

5 Likes